January 21, 2017, 19:20
bigger smaller reset 800px Wide width Full width Reset * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Donate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: License for umodel source code  (Read 19705 times)
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: June 27, 2008, 12:09 »

I decided to release the source code of umodel project. But first of all I need a license for it. I don't like GPL, and have no desire to write my own license. May be, someone could help me with this decision (I need an answers from that people, who really needed this source code) ?
Tedfs
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 17:54 »

I know I'd be interested in checking out the source for this. I've been working on a console app to display simple things in UT Packages for a while but have been stuck on a few things. You've seem to come much further than I ever did.

What kind of License did you have in mind ?

All you really need to do is figure out what you don't want people doing with your source. That can be as complex or as simple as you'd like.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 17:59 »

I'm thinking about GPL. If someone will need another license - I can change it.
chrrox
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 07:12 »

gpl sounds good to me what version are you going with gpl, gpl2, or gpl3?
I think gpl2 is the most common.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 13:05 »

I don't want to perform deep analysis of available open-source licenses. Possibly, this whould be GPL2 (it is used in most open projects?) But I hate "GPL license" headers on top of each source file ...
I will make perl script, which will parse source files, rip off some #ifdef/#endif code parts (for example, I'll not publish Lineage2 mesh code) and add license header. My working copy of source code will remain clean.
m35

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 20:02 »

First, I really want to thank you for taking the time to update umodel to work with Mirror's Edge. Thank you for the comment on my post about it.

Second, I am extremely excited you are willing to release your source code. As my post shows, I am very interested in the .upk file formats and how it all works. Grin

Finally, like Tedfs said, the license really depends on what kind of limitations or freedoms you want to give other people.

• Do you want people to do anything they like with your code?
  • Do you want other people to use your code in a commercial application?
  • If other people change your code and release new programs, do you want them to release their updated code?
  • Do you want people to give you credit whenever your code is used?

Some of the most common licenses are:
GPL (v2 or v3)
Code can be used for any purpose (even commercial), but the source has to always be available (whether it is changed or not), and any code that links directly or indirectly (i.e. a dll) to your code has to also be available.
LGPL
Code can be used for any purpose (even commercial), and the source has to be available if they changed it. Code that links indirectly to your code (i.e. a dll) does not have to be made available, but any code that links directly does.
BSD, MIT, or ZLIB
Code can be used for any purpose (even commercial), and none of the source has to be made available (even if it is changed). They cannot take credit for writing your code, and usually they have to include a copy of your license (so you will still get credit for your work).

Also note that if you use GPL, you don't necessarily have to add the license header to every file. Having that header just eliminates any confusion about what license the file is under. You could probably use a smaller header with just your name and (c) copyright, and a short note that the code is under GPL.

Hope this helps. I look forward to seeing the mysteries your code will reveal.  Smiley
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 20:23 »

Thank you for your post. I need some consultation about licensing. I'll just answer your "questions" (licensing list you have provided does not answers all of them)
  • Do you want people to do anything they like with your code? - yes
  • Do you want other people to use your code in a commercial application? - yes
  • If other people change your code and release new programs, do you want them to release their updated code? - no
  • Do you want people to give you credit whenever your code is used? - yes
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 20:32 by esr911 » Logged
chrrox
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 00:05 »

You want the BSD License. http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php

Copyright (c) <YEAR>, <OWNER>
All rights reserved

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

* Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
    * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
    * Neither the name of the <ORGANIZATION> nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 00:09 by chrrox » Logged
m35

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 00:13 »

Thanks for the clarification on what you want in a license.

From what you have said, there could be lots of options. The BSD license should meet your needs. (chrrox has beat me to the recommendation Wink)
Let's see if I can break it down:
  • Anyone that publishes the source code must keep your copyright notice (your name) and a copy of the license (that will only apply to the code that they didn't change or add)
  • Anyone that publishes binary programs that use your code must also keep your copyright notice (your name) along with a copy of the license (that will only apply to the portion of the code that you wrote)
  • They can't use your name for advertising without your permission (usually not a problem)

This license is fairly widely used, and is perfectly compatable with the GPL license.

Note that IANAL (I am not a lawyer) so my understanding my not be perfect, but I don't think you would find many people that would disagree with that breakdown.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 00:18 »

And what should I do with my source code to use this (BSD) license? (include "copying" into archive, add headers to source files etc)
m35

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 01:28 »

And what should I do with my source code to use this (BSD) license? (include "copying" into archive, add headers to source files etc)

You could copy the entire BSD license to the top of all your files, that that should pretty much do it. But if you don't want to copy the BSD license to the top of every source file, you can do like what I suggested with the GPL. You can just put a short header at the top of each file with your name, (c) copyright, that the file is part of umodel, and to check a separate file (such as COPYING, or LICENSE) for license information.

This is what the BSD licensed bzip2 libarary does.
Code:
/* ------------------------------------------------------------------
   This file is part of bzip2/libbzip2, a program and library for
   lossless, block-sorting data compression.

bzip2/libbzip2 version 1.0.5 of 10 December 2007
   Copyright (C) 1996-2007 Julian Seward <jseward@bzip.org>

Please read the WARNING, DISCLAIMER and PATENTS sections in the
   README file.

This program is released under the terms of the license contained
   in the file LICENSE.
   ------------------------------------------------------------------ */

Yours doesn't even have to be that long. You might be fine with something as simple as this.
Code:
/*
 * UMODEL Unreal Model Viewer
 * Copyright (C) 2009 <your name>
 * This program is released under the terms of the license contained
 * in the file LICENSE.
 */
Again I'm not a lawyer, and this can't be legal advice. But if you would like any additional feedback let me know.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 01:30 by m35 » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 01:59 »

Thank you. Possibly, somebody will tell more here. If not - I'll just do as you say.

Is "license.txt" contents standard, or should be customized?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 20:32 by esr911 » Logged
chrrox
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 02:14 »

Here is a company using this license.
http://assarbad.net/en/stuff/simplebuf/
m35

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 02:16 »

Thank you. Possibly, somebody will tell more here. If no - I'll just do as you say.

Is "license.txt" contents standard, or should be customized?
The license.txt file would contain the text of the BSD license (with your information filled in of course).

<OWNER> = your name
<ORGANIZATION> = umm...if you have one?
<YEAR> = 2009
UMODEL Unreal Model Viewer
Copyright (c) <YEAR>, <OWNER>
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

* Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
    * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
    * Neither the name of the <ORGANIZATION> nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php

Note that if you don't have any organization to use, and if you aren't worried about people misusing your name for endorsement (it's very unlikely to happen, and would be an obvious lie if anyone did), the license page says "you may optionally omit clause 3."
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 02:22 by m35 » Logged
Zipsoapy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 03:46 »

What happened to the plans to release the source code  Grin ?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: