March 28, 2024, 15:35
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: America's Army 2  (Read 8735 times)
hackzero

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2013, 03:03 »

Hello,

I know America's Army 2 is an old and nearly dead game, but nevertheless I have a question.
I always liked the M4A1 M203 SOPMOD model and its animations and would like to extract it for use within other games.
The compatibility table shows it's not supported, but why? Isn't there any chance by today?

Umodel works partially. I can list the packages and extract animations (don't know if working) but it crashes when exporting the SkeletalMesh.
The farthest I got was extracting the the raw SkeletalMesh with the Unreal Package Extractor and opening it in freyja with its Lineage II raw importer. From there I could export it to .obj (or something else) for use within other programs. This worked and gave me the correct looking mesh, but nothing else. No Skeleton, no materials.

I also tried different versions of the game, mostly with the same result. AA 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5 all have version 123/22 or 127/23. The AA 2.8.5 file crashes right at the beginning and the packages can't be listed; it's version 128/33.

AA 2.8.5 was the latest version and came with AAEditor. With this tool I can view the model, play the animations and view all kind of information. Maybe this can be used to reverse engineer the format?

I hope somebody can help. Thanks in advance.

regards
hackzero
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 03:05 by hackzero » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 17:18 »

Hello.
The reason of why this game is not supported is very simple - nobody paid attention for this game, nobody sent me any file.
If you'll decide to send me files - please send them for the most recent game version. For the list of required files check the umodel's FAQ.
hackzero

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 19:39 »

Well, that's a reason, but here I am now Smiley
I packed all files accordingly to your FAQ; pkgtool output is included but it didn't list files, only one line with version information. Please tell me if you need anything else.
I hope you'll find some time to add this game.
Thank you very much!

http://hackzero.de/America's_Army_2.8.5.7z
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 15:58 »

I need sample utx, ukx and usx files.
hackzero

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 19:16 »

Tried to keep the size down; included two small and one larger file for each type. But I can also upload more and larger ones if needed.

http://hackzero.de/America's_Army_2.8.5_samples.7z
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 19:23 »

Okay, thanks.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 14:17 »

Could you send me all files from the System directory except the files you've already sent to me?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 14:23 by Gildor » Logged
hackzero

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 14:32 »

no problem:
http://hackzero.de/America's_Army_2.8.5_System.7z
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 11:42 »

The game is fully supported now. Support for this game was much harder than usual (I spent 3 partial days on it) because of a lot of encryption and obfuscation used by the game developers ...
I have only a few files from this game, they're opened fine. But of course it's possible that other files will crash umodel, it's not tested yet.

You must specify "-game=aa2" option in the command line otherwise umodel will not recognize the game.
hackzero

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 14:56 »

Thank you very much! Everything seems to be working. I'm impressed.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: