March 28, 2024, 21:15
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: tribes ascend  (Read 61639 times)
wraithcat

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2011, 21:22 »

Tried running umodel on the tribes ascend (tribesgame.u)

And for now it seems that the game is more or less fully supported

EDIT

Okay my bad. Seems like it supports Skeletal meshes, static meshes animations and materials. But textures don't seem to extract correctly out of the TFC's. Dimensions are fine, but they seem to be full black.

Since the game is still in beta though, I won't be uploading any of the files (engine and binaries) since unless I'm mistaken gildor ignores those from betas Tongue
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 21:31 by wraithcat » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 21:38 »

Since the game is still in beta though, I won't be uploading any of the files (engine and binaries) since unless I'm mistaken gildor ignores those from betas Tongue
Smiley
Laksen

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 05:35 »

Nice utility. It worked fine for extracting the meshes, but the texture problem was a bit of a problem, so I went digging.

I built the following utility that can extract textures from the texture.cache.*.rtc files. They are stored for each mipmap level in a zlib compressed chunk of DXT1 data, with a 2 byte header of 0x9C78. The *.hdr.rtc is a very simple header file which describes all the textures, first by name and then mipmap level offset/length/flag pairs(I haven't figured out the precise meaning of the flag yet, but I don't really care). Tongue

A link to a win32 binary and Pascal source code here: http://j-software.dk/tribestex.zip
Someone might find it useful at some point Smiley
pixellegolas
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 18:25 »

nice contribution.  I guess with some extra tools we can cover more stuff Smiley
NexusElite
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 16:11 »

Aye, or we could just wait till Tribes to be finish.

ineteye

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 12:35 »

Hi! use your tool ))) Nice but some textures(usually normal maps) have black lines on it... it looks that not all data extracted...

For example this textures:
tribestexture -h texture.cache.hdr.rtc -d texture.cache.data.rtc -o "veh_beowulf.textures.t_beowulf_nrm.tga" -e veh_beowulf.textures.t_beowulf_nrm
tribestexture -h texture.cache.hdr.rtc -d texture.cache.data.rtc -o "veh_beowulf.textures.t_beowulf_spc.tga" -e veh_beowulf.textures.t_beowulf_spc
Laksen

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 18:01 »

Looks like a flag of 0x0205 indicates DXT1, and 0x0207 indicates something like DXT3/5. I don't get very good results using that however. The outputs look jumbled, even though the format pretty much follows a 128bit alpha+color format.

Does anyone know how Unreal usually stores their texture data? Most diffuse images uses DXT1 without alpha, but normal maps, specular and such seem to use that other format. And shadowmaps uses a third one.
Laksen

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 19:53 »

I updated the original link with a new version that handles the DXT1/5 decoding properly. I was unpacking the bits in the wrong direction. Now it handles normal maps too. It doesn't handle shadowmaps, which seems to be the only format that I could find other than DXT1 and 5.
SeptaScarabae

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 03:32 »

But textures don't seem to extract correctly out of the TFC's. Dimensions are fine, but they seem to be full black.

I ran into the same issue. I was excited to come across UModel, until I realized the textures were extracting black. Sad
Noxwizard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 11:00 »

I updated the original link with a new version that handles the DXT1/5 decoding properly. I was unpacking the bits in the wrong direction. Now it handles normal maps too. It doesn't handle shadowmaps, which seems to be the only format that I could find other than DXT1 and 5.
The images are actually inverted over the x axis and are rotated 90 degrees CCW. You can see it in the image below: (wep_arxbuster_1p.arx_display)

The one on the left is extracted from the alpha files which did not have compression applied. The one on the right is extracted from the current files using your application.
Laksen

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 12:33 »

Strange. The files I have extracted so far have fit the texture coordinates of the models that I have looked at, so I don't know if this is actually a bug or not?
Noxwizard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 05:08 »

Strange. The files I have extracted so far have fit the texture coordinates of the models that I have looked at, so I don't know if this is actually a bug or not?
Which models and images did you test with? This is the SKL_WEP_HeavySpinFusor_1p.psk model with the wep_heavyspinfusor_1p.textures.wep_hvy_spinfusor_dif texture applied:
Laksen

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 14:24 »

I had made a silly little error which of course exported them flipped. That's why the decoding was wrong before Smiley

A new version is up with that fixed. Added support for discarding alpha channel(-n)
SeptaScarabae

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 07:33 »

I get an error that it is unable to read the *.rtc file.
Churchie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 18:04 »

This is my first post on these forums, I just unpacked ALL of the Textures for Tribes Ascend. Since I want more textures to come out of this I will let you all know how I did it.

I could have not done this without Posted by: Laksen
A link to a win32 binary and Pascal source code here: http://j-software.dk/tribestex.zip

Start > Run > CMD > cd c:/nameofyourfolder tribestexture -a chartextures.tfc

The trick to get this to work correctly, you will have to make sure the two other files from the CookedPC are in the nameofyourfolder

texture.cache.hdr.rtc and texture.cache.data.rtc plus of course CharTextures.tfc

Once you have all these files in the same folder, it will take about 12 to 20 mins depending on your computer speed. The files that come out is every texture Tribes Ascend has, plus they are in an easy edit format TGA. W00t w00t.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: