March 28, 2024, 13:41
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Files Exported Incorrectly  (Read 6221 times)
BaneOfRome

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2012, 01:45 »

I have recently been extracting many files from all three Mass Effect games. I have consistently noticed that any files that are exported to the "Material3," "MaterialInstanceConstant" and "TextureCube" folders are exported as Microsoft Office Access Table Shortcut files, all of which are 0 KB. Am I doing something wrong during the export, neglecting to compensate for these file types or is umodel.exe simply incapable of handling these specific files?
Note: I export everything using the -md5 extension (not the right word, but you know what I mean) due to 3ds Max 2012's inability to handle ActorX animations.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 08:13 »

I have consistently noticed that any files that are exported to the "Material3," "MaterialInstanceConstant" and "TextureCube" folders are exported as Microsoft Office Access Table Shortcut files, all of which are 0 KB. Am I doing something wrong during the export, neglecting to compensate for these file types or is umodel.exe simply incapable of handling these specific files?
I'm never exporting anything in Microsoft Office formats. All materials are exported as text with .mat extension. You can view them with any text editor (notepad), but really these files are created for my ActorX Importer plugin.
Note: I export everything using the -md5 extension (not the right word, but you know what I mean) due to 3ds Max 2012's inability to handle ActorX animations.
I don't know what you mean - md5 option is obsolete and you should not use it, use psk/psa format instead. Max 2012 has no problems with ActorX animations. Please tell me more about your problems, I think you're doing something wrong.
BaneOfRome

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 09:32 »

Max 2012 has no problems with ActorX animations.
I read somewhere else that 3ds Max 2012 did not accept ActorX animations, so I just assumed this to be true; I never tested it myself.

I tried exporting one of the same .pcc files that I had exported with -md5 with psk/ psa just to see if that would solve the problem, but it did not. The same three folders are again filled with Microsoft Office shortcuts. I have a screenshot showing exactly the results of exporting the file, but I have no idea how to get it into this post. If you believe that the visual could be helpful, would you explain how to post it?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 10:45 »

Max 2012 had only one problem with ActorX: there was no Epic's ActorX plugin for exporting meshes and animations (by the way, this forum contains version for Max 2012 compiled by me). ActorX Importer works in any Max version except 2013.

I don't understand your problem. It looks like MS Office has used .mat file extension which were used by umodel too. But this is not a problem unless you'll try to open .mat files in Office or using Windows Explorer. .mat files opened by ActorX Importer plugin indirectly, you should not load them anywhere. I suggest you to watch video tutorials on this site to understand more.
BaneOfRome

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 00:37 »

But that is the problem. Something somewhere, whether it be umodel, a Microsoft Office problem, or something else, is not recognizing the .mat files cooked into the game's .pcc files as such. Each .mat file that is found is exported incorrectly as a literal shortcut to the Microsoft Office Access Table program (as in click the file or open it with anything and the generic start-up page for the program pops up) but named as the .mat file would be if exported correctly (ex. one file is called QRN_VSR_Cube, which is the name of the cooked .mat file).

But perhaps I am just missing something obvious, doing something wrong, etc. Could you please point me to some of the tutorial videos you mentioned?
Renmiri

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 03:17 »

Mass Effect 2 Export crashes before exporting any mesh. That is probably what you are experiencing. I have the same problem: .mat files generated with zero bytes, because exporter crashed.

Exporting AnimSet HMM_WG_MissleLauncher to ./BioH_Assassin_00/AnimSet
Exporting AnimSet HMM_WG_PlasmaBeam to ./BioH_Assassin_00/AnimSet
Exporting AnimSet PTY_EX_Assasin to ./BioH_Assassin_00/AnimSet
Exporting Material3 DRL_VSR_LGTa_THN_MAT to ./BioH_Assassin_00/Material3
Exporting Texture2D DRL_HGR_LGTa_THN_DIFF to ./BioH_Assassin_00/Texture2D
Reading DRL_HGR_LGTa_THN_DIFF mip level 0 (512x512) from CookedPCConsole/Textures.tfc

******** BioH_Assassin_00.pcc ********
*** ERROR: assertion failed: H.Tag == PACKAGE_FILE_TAG

FCompressedChunkHeader<<:pos=1A560004 <- appReadCompressedChunk <- FByteBulkData
::SerializeChunk <- UTexture2D::LoadBulkTexture:File=CookedPCConsole/Textures.tf
c <- UTexture2D::GetTextureData <- ExportTexture <- ExportObject:Texture2D'DRL_H
GR_LGTa_THN_DIFF' <- ExportMaterial:Material3'DRL_VSR_LGTa_THN_MAT' <- ExportObj
ect:Material3'DRL_VSR_LGTa_THN_MAT' <- Main

[вложение удалено Администратором]
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 03:19 by Renmiri » Logged
Wardawn

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 08:06 »

Not sure if you have resolved this issues yet or not, but I ran into the same problem initially and here are the steps you need to do to fix it assuming you're using windows 7.. (worked for me).

Goto Control Panel>System>Default Programs>Set Associations
scroll down to the .mat extension, select it and click Change Program in the top right corner
Click browse, locate your 2012 3DSMax application.exe and select it

Delete any files that were exported while Access was set to default program and use umodel again to export the files.

While exporting, make sure you use -export -all...., and add the .upk extension at the end of the file. (I don't know if this last step is truly necessary, but it works this way regardless; use it to make sure it works for you then you can tweak the commands afterwards).
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: