March 29, 2024, 01:09
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Vanguard: Saga of Heroes  (Read 21194 times)
Pilgrim
Sponsor

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2012, 00:09 »

This has been a challenge. I have been trying to figure out how to get these files converted or opened. They are from Vanguard Saga of Heroes. It uses the Unreal 2 engine.
I have tried using well over a dozen tools made for converting, viewing or editing the the assets used in Unreal games, but the developers seem to have modified these and nothing works with them.
This game has some very nice models I'd really like to work with. I would like to see if someone would like to try to figure it out. I would prefer to be able to open in/convert/imoport into 3ds Max, but blender would be fine as well.

The characters directory has a Meshes folder, and the files in there are .uem. I was able to extract files from these, and get files with .EMFXMesh extension.
The texture files in .utx format, but won't open with any programs made for that file type.
This game is free to play and has a very large disk space requirement, so it probably isn't feasible to download it for experimenting unless you really want to or already have it. But I do have sample files if needed.

Thanks for any help.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:20 by gildor » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 11:22 »

Send some files here, I'll check the game. The list of required files could be found in the FAQ.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 14:49 »

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes support has been added. In order to allow umodel to detect this game you must add "-game=vang" option to the command line.
Nikky

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 20:37 »

When I try to open the archives in "SkeletalMeshes" I get this error:

Found 2409 game files (952 skipped)
ERROR: unknown game tag "vang".Unreal Engine 1:
      ue1  Unreal Engine 1
  undying  Undying

I use the GUI for umodel, I don't know if this could be the problem... but usually it works perfectly with command lines and such.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 21:28 »

Did you updated the umodel?
Nikky

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 00:56 »

Okay, my mistake. I DID download the updated version of umodel, but apparently I forgot to overwrite the previous version *facepalp*. Thanks, anyway.
Pilgrim
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 23:12 »

Thanks Gildor for your hard work.  I can't wait to get home to try it out  Smiley

I intend to make donations to support your efforts.
Pilgrim
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 00:35 »

It works great.  Unfortunately, they put most of the creatures into the emfx files, and there is no way to get into them, aside from getting the SDK, which is unlikely.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 08:52 »

emfx contains meshes and animations in completely custom formats. And I think these formats are developed for some effects only (according to format names).
fil1969
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 15:36 »

Hi! i tried to extract the uem files with this command :  umodel.exe -export -game=vang -noAnim  (name of the uem) but for every files i tried always said me: the selected package has not supported objects...   where i'm wrong?  i updated the umodel.exe at the last version..   thx for your reply.. and sorry to bored you..   Embarrassed
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 15:40 »

"no supported objects" means this package has neither meshes nor textures, there's nothing that umodel can show.
fil1969
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 15:46 »

Oh thank you Gildor..  so i did all correct.. right?  Huh?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 15:51 »

Yes.
Axolotl

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 07:17 »

Just logging.
The game has folder Characters with two subfolders - Animations (with .uea packages) and Meshes (with .uem packages). (uea, uem - Unreal Engine Animation, Unreal Engine Meshes?)
This folder contains most of the creatures meshes according to the filenames (fungusMan, drakeling, black Dragon etc) and also in Textures folder there are proper maps for all of them.
And yes, these packages doesn't work.

.uem packages seems to contain skeletal meshes (because there are joint names in code) but maybe they also contains sounds.

Here the examples of uem and uea...
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/84715405/ttt/Uem%26uea.zip
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 08:06 »

uea, uem - Unreal Engine Animation, Unreal Engine Meshes?
UE2's "Unreal engine meshes" and "animations" are stored in .ukx files. I think "uem" is "Unreal effect mesh" and "uea" is "Unreal effect animation".
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: