March 28, 2024, 22:19
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: exporting animated textures/images?  (Read 4023 times)
p789456

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2012, 12:54 »

hi, I don't know how to phrase this properly so I'll just go ahead and type this.

as we probably all know there's quite a bunch of animated textures(?) in-game for both ME2 and ME3. I'm not referring to the bik videos, I'm referring to stuff like:
  • the blasto advert on illium
  • the twin peaks video at azure
  • or the various other nonstatic advertisements/doodads scattered throughout the games

I've been using umodel on the appropriate source files to find what I'm looking for (the blasto vid), only that I can't find and extract it using the tool because a) I've either been looking in the wrong places (lair of the shadow broker DLC pcc files), b) I don't really know what it is I'm looking for in terms of probable object type/name/etc, c) umodel never supported viewing/extracting such things, or d) some combination or all of the above.

I'd really appreciate some enlightenment from folks who definitely know how the system works and the forums here seems to be the place for it. thanks in advance.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 13:11 »

Hi. Animated textures are went away with release of Unreal engine 2. Most likely things you're looking for are ScaleForm movies.
p789456

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 13:51 »

scaleform movies. .gfx files or some other form? any idea where they might be located and if detection/extraction is supported by your tool? I'm completely stumped - rule of obvious doesn't seem to be working for me

on extraction i'm seeing mat files (just settings), tga files, pskx files that AFAIK are completely irrelevant to my search, but nothing to suggest a video of any sort.

BioA_CarChase_100.pcc (15mb)
BioA_Exp1Lvl2_140BINKONLY.pcc (5.1mb)
BioA_Exp1Lvl2_BSPcarchase.pcc (990kb)
BioA_Exp1Lvl2_BSPcarchase_2.pcc (1.5mb)
BioA_Exp1Lvl2_BSPcarchase_3.pcc (4.4mb)
BioD_Exp1Lvl2_100Carchase.pcc (43.2mb)
BioD_Exp1Lvl2_100VFX.pcc (7.1mb)
BioS_Exp1Lvl2.pcc (6.8mb)

I'm pretty sure i'm looking at the relevant source (lair of the shadow broker DLC) files here. unless they actually aren't and there were others.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 16:32 »

Standard ScaleForm resources are exported when umodel has "-3rdparty" option in the command line. I'm not certain about use of standard ScaleForm integration in Mass Effect, perhaps ScaleForm was integrated by Bioware programmers into the engine independently. Look here:
http://www.gildor.org/smf/index.php/topic,1260.0.html
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: