Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: Rainbow six veg 2 - some textures coming out tiny  (Read 15434 times)
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
Re: Rainbow six veg 2 - some textures coming out tiny
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 15:55 »

I know umodel doesn't attempt to recreate complex materials - does a MATINST count as a complex material?
umodel has MaterialInstanceConstant support.
The typical diffuse, specular and normal map textures *are* in the uppc, but most of them are the low-res "thumbnail" used in streaming. There are *some* diffuse/specular/normal textures that appear normal, but they are never larger than 256x256. This is slightly different to how coalesced.tfc works in later version of the UE3, but R6V2 was a very early UE3 game.
Yes, TFC files appeared much later in UE3.
The log file reports a lot of "WARNING: ByteProperty "UTexture2D::TextureType" was not found" when opening a package.
This message means nothing.
I haven't been able to locate the hi-res textures - hence why I thought they could be in the .RMPC, .shaders, or the .usdx files.
Sorry, I have no this game so I cannot test this by myself.
SLI_Fallen
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 20:32 »

Gildor. I can send you some files from this if you like.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 23:32 »

Is this game really good enough to spend a lot of time for its support?
SLI_Fallen
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 23:37 »

As far as I am concerned, maybe. I'll mess with it some after the holidays and if I think it's worth your time i'll send a few bucks your way for the attempt anyways. Let you know next year.  Wink
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 23:44 »

Smiley
wraithcat

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 05:02 »

I think it's not as much the quality of the game as the pretty broad range of assets the game has. The truth is, it really does have a very good library, which somewhat hard to find elsewhere.

As to those matinst - that's probably due to how the r6v2 materials are buildup. I've got the impression that the game doesn't have any real base texture, but starts off with a specified pattern which is then being multiplied in certain sections with the diff. it probably does this somewhat different to other games that use vertex colouring like ME2. As those have a diff, on which then seperate colours are multiplied on top.

This seems to be one of the differences in r6v2. As to myself, I did lookat the rmpc and I'm farly sure that those indeed do have the HQ textures, I just don't know enough about fileformat reversal, or the ue3 bitmap type to be able to get it them.
stonecoldnuts
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 07:50 »

I'm with Wraithcat - R6V2 has some great models, and I'd love to see it more fully supported in umodel  Smiley I'm also in support of securing a time machine for Gildor so he can do everything we'd like  Grin
Top_Ivan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 04:20 »

Bump...

Very disappointed I can't get some textured models from this game *sobs* Don't suppose someone's had success that's posted elsewhere and I've missed?
wraithcat

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2011, 17:38 »

Well as I've said before - you can technically get the fullres textures (I think) out of the game as well.
Either with texmod or 3dxripper.

So it's still doabe, just involves a lot of work.
Jump to: