March 29, 2024, 03:19
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Umodel Error: Too much unknown files - bad root directory  (Read 15367 times)
urPackage
Sponsor

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2009, 22:56 »

Hey guys, wondering if anyone else gets the following error when extracting a large amount of files in a single directory?

Code:
*** ERROR: Too much unknown files - bad root directory?
RegisterGameFile:./Helicopter_ARTIntroDressing/Texture2D/DatePalm01_DIFF02.tga <
- ScanGameDirectory <- ScanGameDirectory <- ScanGameDirectory <- appSetRootDirec
tory:dir=. <- Main

This always happens to me when i have a lot of folders and i have to exit umodel and then move the extracted folders out and restart umodel.

If there is a solution to this it would be much appreciated
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 13:46 by gildor » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 14:30 »

Such error will happen when (for example) you will start umodel from the root of drive C:
At the start umodel scans for all subdirs in specified game path. When umodel will detect 16384 unknown files it assumes that you have specified wrong game directory and stops scanning to prevent hanging for a long time (for example - try to scan "C:\Program Files" - you'll understand ...)
Umodel is targetted to work with installed games, and such installations usually has significantly smaller count of files.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 15:30 »

Also this error will happen when you have extracted game packages into one of the game subdirectories. In this case there will be a lot of tga, mat etc files which are not opened by umodel, so umodel will treat them as "garbage" and assumes that you have specified a wrong game directory to open.
Use "-out=(directory)" option to avoid littering of the game directory.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 11:47 by gildor » Logged
JamesColander

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 09:42 »

I was extracting some packages normally when this happened, then i can't seem to extract any more files. I tried -out but it doesn't work. Any idea how?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 12:04 »

Remove all extracted files from the game directory and continue using umodel with "-out=...".
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 20:02 »

I've made some changes preventing umodel from crashing with "Too much files" error when you're extracting files to the directory containing packages. Nevertheless I'd still suggest everyone to extract files into the separate directory which is not under -path=... folder.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: