March 29, 2024, 19:42
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Animation UE1 to ue4 problems and doubts  (Read 2550 times)
rubening87

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2017, 12:08 »

when i import into ue4 an animation that i exported with the gildor exporter script, i get a lot of animation sequences linked to the animation i tried to import" .. not exactly linked but they are like loaded at the same time in the engine, and when i check the animations, the name is different ( they are taking names of the other files from the RUNE GAME) but they animation is the same but different frames, somes are 14 frames others 22... etc

but if i simply export animation as fbx, with the 3dmax (without script) i get one simple run animation. am i doing something wrong? is there something with the exporteR script that i did wrong?

also the size of the 3d max script exported animation is 4mb (so looks like it has the other animations hidden somewhere i dont know since  i know nothing about animations)¨but the size of the file i exported with the 3dmax without script is 530 kb? is there maybe any option / config , i'm missing?

i have an small problem regarding the rotation of the character/mesh, its always laying on the ground facing ground, and but i rotated in 3d max and changed the offset to be the right one, but still exporting with the fbx script didnt make the job for the mehs,, the animations are looking in the right orientation but not the Skeletalmesh.

also i see the animations that should be looping cycles.. like walking /running, they look like they have missing one frame in the end. between the last and first frame theres something looking not smoothy at all. is that normal? (sorry i know nothing about animation)

please , hope we can find the "why"  of the problems.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 12:12 by rubening87 » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 12:41 »

You have lots of very basic questions. It appears like you didn't try options available in ActorX Importer at all.

when i import into ue4 an animation that i exported with the gildor exporter script, i get a lot of animation sequences linked to the animation i tried to import" .. not exactly linked but they are like loaded at the same time in the engine, and when i check the animations, the name is different ( they are taking names of the other files from the RUNE GAME) but they animation is the same but different frames, somes are 14 frames others 22... etc
No idea what you're talking about. But I'd suggest you to try "Batch export" tool (find it in importer's UI), especially with "multi-take" option switched on.

i have an small problem regarding the rotation of the character/mesh, its always laying on the ground facing ground, and but i rotated in 3d max and changed the offset to be the right one, but still exporting with the fbx script didnt make the job for the mehs,, the animations are looking in the right orientation but not the Skeletalmesh.
You shouldn't rotate a mesh using Max's gizmos, this will break animation. Importer has an option to rotate a mesh. Also, if you're importing a mesh into UnrealEd, there are transform options available.

also i see the animations that should be looping cycles.. like walking /running, they look like they have missing one frame in the end. between the last and first frame theres something looking not smoothy at all. is that normal? (sorry i know nothing about animation)
There's an option "fix looping animation" (again: you didn't try importer's options - "it is faster to ask than to learn"??)
rubening87

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 14:35 »

You have lots of very basic questions. It appears like you didn't try options available in ActorX Importer at all.
i tried everything..., thats why i wrote here  Cry

No idea what you're talking about. But I'd suggest you to try "Batch export" tool (find it in importer's UI), especially with "multi-take" option switched on.
I will have to try that batch export, but as i understood in the text, multi take ON will take ***ALL*** animations from the same PSA file? this is not what i need/want. Also,, as i see there,, theres no way to export just 1 animation from the psa?.. I want each animation in 1 different FBX file,and actually i dont need all the animations from that PSA but for some reason those FBX i get have like 20 animations in different layers in the same file... I could upload the file and you can check whats happening.
but to export the 350 animations from the psa, it took like 3 hours.. and each file is very big to be mostly animations of 10 frames.. all of them have more than  5 mb..
but exporting the animation normally from the 3dmax without the script , is working fine. So whats the difference from using or not using?? i guess the script exporter was made to export all the pack in different fbx all at once..

i have an small problem regarding the rotation of the character/mesh, its always laying on the ground facing ground, and but i rotated in 3d max and changed the offset to be the right one, but still exporting with the fbx script didnt make the job for the mesh,
You shouldn't rotate a mesh using Max's gizmos, this will break animation. Importer has an option to rotate a mesh. Also, if you're importing a mesh into UnrealEd, there are transform options available.
sorry for the missunderstanding, i rotated the character from the "importer" by changing the ROLL ,to -90 then APPLY also the offset in z to 42 untill it matches in the center of the Viewport , but still when exporting and importing in UE4 i get this ROTATED character facing the ground. But the animation is Fine. Its just the skeletal mesh without animation that is back to default orientation.

There's an option "fix looping animation" (again: you didn't try importer's options - "it is faster to ask than to learn"??)

i Tried before asking here, (all except batch export) please dont think i ask here without trying to learn by my own..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU4CTuffr7c fix animation loop is not recognizeing the offset and rotation thats why when i tried first time i thought it was giving one bug but after i understood that its causing the rotation and offset going back to the default pos of the PSK mesh orientation.

so lets say if i use the orientation ROLL 0 and Z offset back to 0. the loop is fixed  ( it works perfect) but its rotated and away from center.

***by the way, a suggestion for the actorX import, since sometimes you can get more than 300 animations in one PSA, would be nice to at least be able to click and type the name of the animation in order to find it faster.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 14:55 by rubening87 » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 15:17 »

I will have to try that batch export, but as i understood in the text, multi take ON will take ***ALL*** animations from the same PSA file? this is not what i need/want. Also,, as i see there,, theres no way to export just 1 animation from the psa?.. I want each animation in 1 different FBX file,and actually i dont need all the animations from that PSA but for some reason those FBX i get have like 20 animations in different layers in the same file... I could upload the file and you can check whats happening.
but to export the 350 animations from the psa, it took like 3 hours.. and each file is very big to be mostly animations of 10 frames.. all of them have more than  5 mb..
but exporting the animation normally from the 3dmax without the script , is working fine. So whats the difference from using or not using?? i guess the script exporter was made to export all the pack in different fbx all at once..
Export of separate animations per fbx file really very slow. However exporting a multi-take fbx file is much faster, at least in my tests. You'll have a single FBX file which will contain a mesh (only once) and all animations.

sorry for the missunderstanding, i rotated the character from the "importer" by changing the ROLL ,to -90 then APPLY also the offset in z to 42 untill it matches in the center of the Viewport , but still when exporting and importing in UE4 i get this ROTATED character facing the ground. But the animation is Fine. Its just the skeletal mesh without animation that is back to default orientation.
I've checked a video, the problem looks strange. However it is not supposed that you'll rotate a mesh after animation loading. Please try (if you didn't yet) to set up rotation, then load a mesh and animation.
Regarding of import to UE4, FBX import options has rotation. Did you try that?

i Tried before asking here, (all except batch export) please dont think i ask here without trying to learn by my own..
Ok, sorry. This is just a common practice to ask instead of trying by themselves, or even looking for existing information on the forum Smiley

***by the way, a suggestion for the actorX import, since sometimes you can get more than 300 animations in one PSA, would be nice to at least be able to click and type the name of the animation in order to find it faster.
Not sure if it is possible with MaxScript at all. MaxScript UI interface is very easy to write, however it is absolutely not flexible.
rubening87

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 22:25 »

Export of separate animations per fbx file really very slow. However exporting a multi-take fbx file is much faster, at least in my tests. You'll have a single FBX file which will contain a mesh (only once) and all animations.
actuallly in the psa there are like 300 animations i just need 50 or 60 thats why... but having one FBX.. wont it be harder to add them in unreal engine? there i will have to split everything.

my question is.. the normal fbx exporting is ok right? Because i try to get the animations that i exported with the exporter script and i have that problem that i have lot of animations included with the animation.

I've checked a video, the problem looks strange. However it is not supposed that you'll rotate a mesh after animation loading. Please try (if you didn't yet) to set up rotation, then load a mesh and animation.
Regarding of import to UE4, FBX import options has rotation. Did you try that?
tried right now(the rotating in the script before mesh and animation), and no, doesnt work , it is doing the same... Its the player going back to roll 0. And yes i know threres a rotation in ue but would have liked to save that step on there:D thank you so much anyway!
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 22:42 »

Sorry, probably your questions are too advanced to me. I'm probably the less advanced used of my own script in the world Smiley
rubening87

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 09:40 »

Sorry, probably your questions are too advanced to me. I'm probably the less advanced used of my own script in the world Smiley

lol sorry for bothering!.. and thank you for help anyway!
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: