March 28, 2024, 15:55
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: How to browse textured meshes without browsing though textures  (Read 969 times)
cesm1980

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2017, 12:46 »

Hi Gildor

I am posting this just to know if there's a easier way to do what i want or not, which is like this : sometimes i am browsing objets in the UE viewer, in huge packages that has tons of objets, models or textures. Most of the times, i just want to get to the skeletal meshes and to watch the animations on textured skeletal meshes or static meshes, and i have no alternative but to browse through douzens of textures (or even hundreds sometimes) to be able to reach a skeletal mesh. The only solutions i seen so far are :

- obviously i have thought about just disabling textures in the beginning, but the problem is that this also disables them showing up on the meshes, i would really like to see the skeletal meshes TEXTURED but without having to go through every single texture before reaching them when using PAGEUP and PAGEDN!

- keepin the PAGEUP or PAGEDOWN button pressed until i reach a mesh, which isn't practical because the cycling goes too fast and i miss the models most of the times in massive packages

- press the PAGEUP or PAGEDOWN button nearly 20-50 times until i reach the models, also not practical specially if i have to browse a lot of packages

- export the ENTIRE package and then import into 3dsmax the desired PSK files and see the model textured in there, but having to also load the psa file for each model is also a bit too much steps to do (perhaps the batch export also is a good idea), but to do this with douzens of models takes a lot of time

In case there's no alternatives suggested by anyone here, i presume this last option is probably the best one, but i have noticed that UE Viewer in the "Navigate" topdown menu has the option to include meshes and materials, is it too hard for you Gildor to include additional options in there, like to be able to toggle textures as well, in a way they wouldn't appear on the cycling when using PAGEUP or PAGEDN but would still show up on skeletal meshes or static meshes? Not sure if this possible or not, or if it's too much work for you, but if it's something simple to do maybe there's more people interested? Otherwise, just tell me if there's a easier way to do what i intend to do, otherwise perhaps creating the psk and psa files, or perhaps exporting all the psa animations with batch export on 3dsmax is the better option.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 12:54 »

Hi.
As far as I understand, you want to see textured meshes, and nothing else? This is what "Navigate | Include meshes" option does.I see you noticed it, but I think you didn't try it.
"Include materials" option will exclude textures from browsing with PgUp/PgDn, but will include materials. If you'll enable both options, then you'll see meshes and materials (but not separate textures).
cesm1980

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 13:17 »

Yeah that's EXACTLY what i wanted indeed ("Include meshes") i haven't tried it because of the way it's worded made no sense to what i wanted to do (i wanted to "exclude textures" from the browsing, so i had no idea that this "include meshes" meant something like "include only meshes" or something like that) so i found the wording misleading (for example something like "Include only meshes" or "Include only textured meshes" would be better but anyway it doesn't matter much anymore how it's worded now that i got it's meaning, thanks for explaning it!

Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 13:21 »

Yeah, the wording is not fair here, but I can't find the better one. The logic behind this is just too complex to say it in 2 words Smiley So, "include meshes" is the best one, I think.
When nothing is selected there, everything is included.
cesm1980

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 13:35 »

Yeah that's what i thought too, that's why i hesited in suggesting you those alternatives, and also that's why i said the wording doesn't matter much.

This actually reminds me, which maybe it's not too on-topic but what is the complete full list of keyboard shortcuts? I mean the ones not listed in H, i noticed in other topics shortcuts like ctrl+g for open gl, or the fov adjusting with the uparrow and downarrow, but i wonder if there's more, since for example, keys to toggle the meshes and materials would be great, or a way to reverse direction of animation sets cycling (to go backwards like PAGEUP does on objets) and to finish, some way to remap any of the keyboard shortcuts, even if it's just in a .txt or .ini file, but this is just a suggestion anyway, if it's too complex i understand you have better things to do Cheesy
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 13:40 »

Yes, some shortcuts are missing in H output. Remapping is not planned. Configuration file is planned, but I have no idea when I'll do that.
cesm1980

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 13:42 »

Oh i see, that's okay.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: