March 29, 2024, 20:02
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Dealing with missing texture/material link  (Read 3786 times)
san
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2017, 16:17 »

HI, wondering if there is a workaround for identifying the materials/textures associated with the model when they are not appearing in UModel.
E.g. like the model below

If I just export this model from the viewer, only the mesh is available. If I export the whole upk it will extract all the related mesh and textures. Assuming that the texture/material is available in this upk or maybe in a related upk is there any way of identifying the association?

Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 16:28 »

Hi.
1. Check the log, look for "missing package" warnings. Probably you don't have required packages, so UModel simply can't load materials.
2. Press 'M' key in viewer and check if you'll see material names in a list, or just 'None' instead.
san
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 23:30 »

Hi.
1. Check the log, look for "missing package" warnings. Probably you don't have required packages, so UModel simply can't load materials.
2. Press 'M' key in viewer and check if you'll see material names in a list, or just 'None' instead.
Hi Gildor, thanks for your prompt reply as usual
1. I have checked the notify.log file and there is no message for missing packages. On the console window for umodel.exe I can see a bunch of warnings
Warning: IntProperty "UTexture2D::CookedTextureGroupLODBias" was not found

2. On Pressing 'M' key for mesh I get 0: null, and tri count

At least if I know which material the mesh is using I can manually search.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 23:43 »

1. You should check log window, not notify.log. Notify.log contains only error messages.
2. So, material is really unassigned. But this could be because of missing package (see #1), or because the mesh really don't have a material set up. In the case of missing package, the problem could be recovered. This usually happens when user open a game in a wrong way. For example - just what I saw in countless tutorials on youtube:
a) copying a packages to some location, so other packages won't be seen by umodel
b) copying umodel into the game directory; often - near the mesh package, so materials and textures will be somewhere outside of current directory, and again - umodel won't see it.
san
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 20:47 »

1. You should check log window, not notify.log. Notify.log contains only error messages.
2. So, material is really unassigned. But this could be because of missing package (see #1), or because the mesh really don't have a material set up. In the case of missing package, the problem could be recovered. This usually happens when user open a game in a wrong way. For example - just what I saw in countless tutorials on youtube:
a) copying a packages to some location, so other packages won't be seen by umodel
b) copying umodel into the game directory; often - near the mesh package, so materials and textures will be somewhere outside of current directory, and again - umodel won't see it.
Hi Gildor, thanks. I tried the options that you have suggested i.e. avoiding a) and b) it looks like the case of mesh and textures being in different UPKs and the mesh not having any material set up. At least this game (Bless Online) seems to have a straightforward mapping of mesh and texture names so I just searched for the texture and found it.
Mesh LV_Siraka_Town_HolyPlaceChair_SM_CNH in package LV_Siraka_Town_B.upk
By searching I found the textures from LV_Siraka_Town_C.upk :-) so yeah a bit of manual work involved as the material setup is missing in game file. Not an issue with the tool or import script. Think I can live with that :-)
Thanks again
axelfond

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 18:05 »

I've noticed that Bless has some duplicate meshes (which is normal) but some meshes will correctly render the material and some won't.

That happened with the airship ect objects for Bless.
It's pretty rare though - most things look okay.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: