Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: Socket Placements  (Read 1195 times)
WollieWoltaz

View Profile
Socket Placements
« on: October 17, 2017, 19:12 »

Hello Gildor.

I have a question about the ActorXImporter for 3ds max. Is it possible to place attachments (weapon/shields/etc..) to sockets of specific models with the Importer.
And with specific models i mean models from the game "Paladins" . I know that the developers use sockets to attach there weapons to, but when importing the skeleton meshes into 3ds max you can see they are seperate. The weapons aren't part of the bindpose i guess.
So after I import the .psa file the weapon isn't moving with the character model. It's a bit hard to explain, but i hope you kinda understand were i'm going with this.

Kind Regards,
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
Re: Socket Placements
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 23:39 »

Hi,

Sockets are not exported. This is just because they are not a part of skeleton. Really, I can add dummy bones when exporting a mesh, however they will appear as bones after import into Unreal engine, not as sockets. So, the only way to save sockets is to recreate them by hands in editor using information which could be obtained from umodel.

To get basic socket information, you may press 'D' key, and all information will be dumped to console. Alternatively you may use "-uc" command line option, and when exporting a mesh umodel will create .uc file holding required information. That information will be in UE1 and UE2 format (this is mostly about rotations), but it should not be hard to convert it to UE3 or UE4 rotations.
Jump to: