March 29, 2024, 04:06
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Who here uses Linux?  (Read 1206 times)
Juso3D

Welcome to Gildor Forums

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2018, 13:38 »

Hey all, has the title say, just wondering who here runs (or has run) a Linux Distro before?, I've used Linux off and on since Ubuntu first came out, basically distro hope for a little while until I came across Arch Linux and be on that ever since (until upgrade PC to play games, currently on windblows Sad ), I use Gnome 3 Desktop Environment but about to move to either i3 or awesome, just need to take a moment to study the basics and create a workflow on it, because I like customization and options.

Unfortunately currently on Win10 due to using Unreal Engine 4 (can't seem to get it working on Linux with a AMD GPU), and playing games like PUBG, BF1 among others, but once I get a few more upgrades on the computer I plan to have Linux has my main OS and Win10 has a Guest with Qemu GPU Pass-through (headless now since Looking Glass project is out and don't need a monitor to actually do it, which annoyed me), but waiting till I get another GPU for Linux (maybe Nvidia Sad), and 2 m.2 drives for each OS etc, yes this is much overcomplicated but no fun in having things easy....oh and another reason will be no one will be able to use my computer, since everyone I know is doesn't know Linux let alone a Window Manager Cheesy..

Post away people, otherwise be writing about this all day lol.

Here is msjche's Arch Linux Awesome Setup which looks well.... 'Awesome' Cheesy His YouTube Here

Blender + Linux User Here.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 11:07 »

I'm using Linux (Linux Mint) from VMWare, to provide Linux builds and to check gcc/linux compatibility. However I'm always getting error when trying to suspend VM - it says "The request to Suspend this virtual machine failed because the corresponding VMware Tools script did not run successfully ... blah blah blah". Doing suspension the 2nd time always succeeded. And even more, recently I'm getting a huge slowdown of VM - the process "vmhgfs-fuse" (virtual file system) occupies 100% of CPU. Very nice.
Juso3D

Welcome to Gildor Forums

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 09:27 »

Totally forgot about this, oh never had that issue, tried Virtualbox rather then VMware? thing I have issue with Linux is getting UE4 to compile and run on a AMD GPU, Nvidia GPU simply compiles and runs, well last time I used it did, but then there is the issue of it isn't 100% done compared to Windows version and no Launcher etc...

Blender + Linux User Here.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 10:22 »

I used VirtualBoxe before, but switched to VMWare (I don't remember why, probably because I've noticed that there's a free version of it).
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 11:55 »

Just in case posting here. I've resolved issue with high CPU and disk activity. Using "iotop" utility I've located that some "mlocate" program scans over disk system a lot. Removing (uninstalling) that it resolved the issue.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: