Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: Splinter Cell Conviction  (Read 96385 times)
Tosyk

View Profile WWW
Re: Splinter Cell Conviction?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 15:59 »

I wanna asking Gildor about this game, maybe have some progress, because it's very close to double agent? Models in the game a very-very quality.

Коллекционирую игровые модели.
my blog - http://cgig.ru
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 19:11 »

No. Progress was stopped a few months ago. I can decompress ass/umd files, but these files really a some kind of file container - it contains other files inside. Umodel has no "virtual file system" to process packages nested inside other files.
because it's very close to double agent?

You are wrong (but to be correct, I have not seen double agent packages - it looks like that packages were placed in archives too - that's why you have not seen them).
iservealot

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 09:28 »

No. Progress was stopped a few months ago. I can decompress ass/umd files, but these files really a some kind of file container - it contains other files inside. Umodel has no "virtual file system" to process packages nested inside other files.

You are wrong (but to be correct, I have not seen double agent packages - it looks like that packages were placed in archives too - that's why you have not seen them).

Sorry I am so late to this game! You are correct.
We will release our research with this soon!

Where you able to fully decompress the ZLIB data in Conviction? If so, I might be able to figure out their library system - but I could not figure out how to decompress the data (only was successful with one small chunk of .umd file which contained .ini file)
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 11:41 »

Conviction uses Microsoft compression library for XBox360 (XMemCompress, wrapper around LZX), not zlib. It even uses big-endian data storage. I don't know why they're used XBox library for PC, but it's a fact. They should link PC game executable with XDK ...
iservealot

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 03:08 »

Question...when you decompressed this data was there Unreal file headers anywhere to be found throughout the container file?
Also, what method did you use to decompress the files?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 10:14 »

Question...when you decompressed this data was there Unreal file headers anywhere to be found throughout the container file?
Yes.
Also, what method did you use to decompress the files?
It uses ZLib and LZX ("XMem").
iservealot

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 05:32 »

Hopefully I am not asking too much, but can you please send me an uncompressed archive file?
I would like to look through it to see if it matches other similar Ubisoft archive file containers.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 10:53 »

Please remind me in a 3-4 days.
iservealot

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 10:10 »

Will do. Thanks Smiley
iservealot

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 10:50 »

Please remind me in a 3-4 days.

Just a friendly reminder. Smiley
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 09:10 »

Sent you a PM with the file link. Sorry for delay - I have no free time at all Sad
iservealot

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 06:26 »

Thanks - I just downloaded it!

I know what it's like to not have free time, I'm short on time too! If only there were more hours in the day ... Tongue

I will look at this archive soon. .UMD is a common extension Ubisoft has been using for UMOD similar file storage since Chaos Theory. I believe Xbox and Playstation .UMD files have been different for Chaos Theory (I have to check). Double Agent uses LIN localization.

I will look at this and see if I see either formats or something new (though from a quick glance I didn't see any Unreal headers). Maybe when you have time you can explain to me step by step how you exported this content from Conivction.
iservealot

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 23:56 »

Hey Gildor,

Okay I had a look at the file. A few questions:

-Where do you see Unreal headers? I searched through the file for declaration of Unreal and engine version and didn't see any consistency. What did you mean when you said you saw Unreal file headers?

-I see what seems to be a layout of files used in a modified UMOD format declared at the beginning of the file, but the contents of the rest of the package seem to still be compressed. It's modified UMD format from what Ubisoft normally has done (in the past).
Can you please provide me with exact method/tools used to extract the contents from .ass/.umd files? This way I can extract all packages without needing to bother you.  Smiley

I would especially like to extract "loc-int.umd" files as they should be plain English and prove that the extraction/deflate method is correct. I was able to extract some contents from it before, but only a few bytes (correctly).

Would be helpful if you could provide me with this information. Smiley
Also, Just a thought -  I noticed that the file you sent me was smaller (by about 16MB) from .ass/.umd file. If it was compressed before, shouldn't the extract file be larger??
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 00:21 »

Hey Gildor,
Hi
-Where do you see Unreal headers? I searched through the file for declaration of Unreal and engine version and didn't see any consistency. What did you mean when you said you saw Unreal file headers?
Probably I've made a mistake. All contents is encrypted (but most probably with a simple xor or similar).
Can you please provide me with exact method/tools used to extract the contents from .ass/.umd files? This way I can extract all packages without needing to bother you.  Smiley
I can send you a tool which will save decompressed umd. But currently this tool is slightly buggy - it will crash on some files.I've stopped Conviction reversing when I've found that ass/umd is an archive file.
Also, Just a thought -  I noticed that the file you sent me was smaller (by about 16MB) from .ass/.umd file. If it was compressed before, shouldn't the extract file be larger??
Original 01_Market.umd is 31,299,592 bytes long. Decompressed is 107Mb. Rar (say: recompressed) file is 26 Mb. What's wrong?
iservealot

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 00:39 »

Hey Gildor,
Hi
Probably I've made a mistake. All contents is encrypted (but most probably with a simple xor or similar).
Can you please provide me with exact method/tools used to extract the contents from .ass/.umd files? This way I can extract all packages without needing to bother you.  Smiley
I can send you a tool which will save decompressed umd. But currently this tool is slightly buggy - it will crash on some files.I've stopped Conviction reversing when I've found that ass/umd is an archive file.
Also, Just a thought -  I noticed that the file you sent me was smaller (by about 16MB) from .ass/.umd file. If it was compressed before, shouldn't the extract file be larger??
Original 01_Market.umd is 31,299,592 bytes long. Decompressed is 107Mb. Rar (say: recompressed) file is 26 Mb. What's wrong?

-In response to your tool, Please and thank you. Smiley I can extract archives from previous .UMD game archives uses by Ubisoft and it does in fact contain original Unreal files. Though conviction .umd does in fact appear to be encrypted/compressed further.

-oops. I thought your extracted .umd file was BOTH .umd AND .ass files. I am now assuming that .ass is container for map files (as only map names contain .ass and .umd).

If you can send me the tool, I will analyze the archives further.  Tongue
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 00:42 by iservealot » Logged
Jump to: