April 17, 2024, 02:24
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Material looking for non-texture.references, not texturing most ActorX imports.  (Read 621 times)
SchoolHomeVR

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2018, 03:21 »

I have tried and tried not wanting to bug you, ;~)  I'm having an problem importing objects with Material / Textures into 3dsmax (of objects that look perfect in Umodel..) :

These in here seem to be the 'root' of the problem:

https://we.tl/t-iOObGYFG2y

(these are files in the UN-Packed Export folder, that that do not 'turn into' anything either from Umodel or with Actorx import, BUT then are 'asked' for during import! (it asks: 'Texture for material and the name (w/ no extension), is always one of those 'pasted-' things in the zip file.

It is as if, it were:  a material, referencing a another material (in a texture slot), that is itself, referencing the texture...  If that makes sense?

THANK YOU for any insight!

ps. About that audio issue, it does seem to convert the ones it didn't before now,  but instead of the .ogg output, it is making them .ue4opus  I tried renaming to ogg and converting with good ol' 'Pazera free audio extractor', but it did not recognize,..  I greatly appreciate the help! 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:01 by SchoolHomeVR » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 11:50 »

I have tried and tried not wanting to bug you, ;~)  I'm having an problem importing objects with Material / Textures into 3dsmax (of objects that look perfect in Umodel..) :
Please record a video showing model in UModel, how do you export, how do you import, Max's log window (F11 key).
ps. About that audio issue, it does seem to convert the ones it didn't before now,  but instead of the .ogg output, it is making them .ue4opus  I tried renaming to ogg and converting with good ol' 'Pazera free audio extractor', but it did not recognize,..  I greatly appreciate the help! 
Search for "ue4opus" over the forum.
SchoolHomeVR

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 07:41 »

Hi Gildor, thanks!

I did a search here Ue4Opus. (Been searching for days,.) Didn't find anything to help though.  All I was hoping by asking, is that perhaps they could just come through as OGG like the rest,., I know how to work with that,.   I do see the QuickBMS and 'script talk', but I am a GUI guy,.. Scripts are one step too far for me,.. Not one of the 5  'QuickBMS' 'quick start' steps made the slightest sense to me,  things like:  'Step 5 Place ue4opus onto test in vgmstream folder'
There's just no way, with instructions like that. anyways, I am getting too far down the rabbit hole.  I will consider those sounds inaccessible and move on!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The material problem, I have tried to make a video all day, but there is really nothing to show,.. It is not that sort of problem,.  (It would just be an empty folder, except, it doesn't even make an empty folder!)  Here is the video I made, but,. I may have explained the problem wrong,.   https://youtu.be/FRx7ggaUjtY 
 The files in question in that zip I sent, are materials that are referred to AS IF they were Textures, by another material,.  and though they all show up IN umodel,  as materials they do not come through even not the TXT that is usually so helpful, by letting you see what textures a material wants Smiley

THANK YOU!!

ps, I made the video, unlisted, my couple thousands sub's would wonder what it is !  LOL
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 07:49 by SchoolHomeVR » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 12:36 »

Hi,

Regarding materials. Are you familiar with Unreal engine material system?

Materials could be fully procedural, i.e. generate picture from shader code without use of any texture. Also, in your case I see that material has "Master" in name, it hints me that this is a "material template", i.e. material which is used as base for other materials. It should have some parameters (probably including texture parameters), and designer can use it to set up these parameters and create a "final" material which will appear in a game.

An example (just a generic one). Let's say I want to create a very very simple material with diffuse and normal textures. If I'll create a "Material" class in UE4, then put diffuse and normal texture there. Changing a texture will force engine to recompile shader. Also, if I'll need to make a material with different diffuse, I'll copy a material and change texture. This will allocate 2nd hardware shader, and will compile 2nd material again.
Now, I decided to use "template". I'll create the same material, but put textures as "texture parameter". Then create 2 "MaterialInstance" objects as child of that material. Put relevant textures as texture parameters. Only the "template" material will be compiled, and in hardware there will be just 1 shader for any number of material instances. Changing textures in instances will be instant. And it will allow to replace textures from game code, at runtime, by changing shader parameters.

So, if I'd like to export that "template material", I won't get anything. UModel will see only those 2 texture parameter values, their names and default values. For instances, it'll see which template is used, and which parameters are set to which values. If I'll name parameters as "DiffuseTextrure" and "NormalTexture", export will be perfect. If I'll name parameters like "DT" and "NT" etc, UModel won't understand what's that, and everything will be exported as "Referenced textures" but with no real use. And you'll see color checkerboard in viewer.

Material can use math to compute color. For instance, if I'll say "(Tex.U < 0.5 AND Tex.V < 0.5) OR (Tex.U > 0.5 AND Tex.V > 0.5) then use black color, otherwise white) - it will create a checkerboard material without any use of texture. Of course, usually expressions are much more complex, then can use world coordinate of pixel, world normal, vertex color from mesh, etc. They can split texture into separate color channels, and use them as some mask values to perform another math.

In other words, if materials are exported fine - that's good (and that material is simple enough for umodel). If no, probably you will be able to understand what should be inside yourself, using material name and .props information. Probably not.
SchoolHomeVR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 13:21 »

GILDOR!!  I just solved the (my...) material problem!!!  

I had been setting the 'Path to Materials' (in 3ds Max 2018 Actor-X import), to the 'Quickbms' un-Pak'ed content folder that has the 'raw' files, (INSTEAD of setting it to the 'UMODEL' Content folder!!!  LOL LOL !!!!!  
       I would then click 'Import PSK' & it would 'ask' for a Texture (.TGA or .DDS) with a name like 'MI_Hair' & no extension.  Using UE_Viewer I would then see that was the name of a MATERIAL not a Texture! (and thanks to your TXT file I could find the names of the textures,..)  But that process made any really large work much harder,.

This is great...

As amazing and fun as all this is,. (THANK YOU!) I can't imagine the convenience of the (thousands) of textures now finding their home automatically,.  
(MMUUUAAAAHHH!!)
   I mean,. cool!   ;~)  I'm glad I found this now and not earlier, it made me focus more on the textures themselves, big industry standard things like: SRM files, which are, (I'm sure you know Gildor..)  Normal, (I mean 'regular' ;~) image files, that make use of the 3 standard RGB channels to contain 3 full high rez grayscale info-maps like-so:

Specular in the Red channel,
Roughness in the Green channel
Metallic in the Blue.

Awesome!  I learn more about how to make games, by reverse engineering them, than any videos, classes or tutorials etc.

I bet this is how engineers at D.A.R.P.A and Area-51 feel...

LOL
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 13:35 by SchoolHomeVR » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 13:26 »

ActorX Importer should pick textures automatically if they're correct in umodel's viewer mode. There are 2 relevant options (probably you already figured that out) - "path to materials" and "look in subfolders". Materials and textures BOTH should be under that path. I'm usually setting "path to materials" to UmodelExport directory, and "look in subfolders" is always enabled.
SchoolHomeVR

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 13:39 »

I always have look in sub-folders set too, but until now, I was sending it to the raw QuickBMS output!  (There were no textures to find...).  I needed to set the Path to the 'Umodel' exported files instead,  (It was asking for TGA/DDS that had the name of the MAT!) Now when I run it, (import Psk's) it doesn't stop and finds the textures!

Wink  Thank you, is amazing power...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 13:42 by SchoolHomeVR » Logged
SchoolHomeVR

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 13:47 »

ActorX Importer should pick textures automatically if they're correct in umodel's viewer mode. There are 2 relevant options (probably you already figured that out) - "path to materials" and "look in subfolders". Materials and textures BOTH should be under that path. I'm usually setting "path to materials" to UmodelExport directory, and "look in subfolders" is always enabled.

With so many separate steps of un-pak'ing, then converting then importing I got a little lost and was (from the very beginning) sending the Actor-x plugin looking in the wrong place for Materials.  I realize now that early on,  I just didn't know enough about the overall process to understand exactly what it was all doing and looking for...

Now after I had my 'Material Path Epiphany' tonight LOL,   it seems so obvious I am laughing at myself!  Smiley
I am having so much fun with the projects I always wanted to try!

Do you like Star Trek Gildor my friend?  and/or, do you have VR?

W.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 13:58 »

Do you like Star Trek Gildor my friend?
Only recent 3 movies, "restart" of StarTrek universe Smiley
and/or, do you have VR?
I have Vive and PSVR.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: