March 28, 2024, 12:53
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: UModel/UE Viewer problem with Batch Mode(No textures or materlais!)  (Read 1709 times)
SchoolHomeVR

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2018, 22:51 »

HELLO!  Thank you as always!  So great to have this tool!

first, Am I using the right tool jusdt to go from an unencrypted .pak, back into Unreal?  (I am going through Max  but don't really need to for this :")  For that reason I thought I would try the 'batch' option.   
 If I convert '.pskx' one at a time, materials and Textures come through (into 3ds Max..) but whenever I try to use 'batch' on the same files, in the same folders, (whether into .max or .fbx) they come though with a single diffuse 'color' of White (in Unreal) and no map really at all in 3ds Max,.) Even though the one at a time import, brings in Spec maps, Normal Bump Maps (COOL!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley  etc.  Should I be using on of the other Umodel Export Modes instead of Actor-X?

I am not doing anything unusual, I just go into your Main Actor-X import panel, I set the path to Materials, with Look in Subfolders checked,..)   I then click Batch and it opens the 2nd 'Batch window'. (I notice the Batch window has no Material pointer like the main import window??) 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I try and try for weeks before asking, not wanting to take your time.  There are 1,000 of meshes I need to pull through, out of pak, back into Unreal, if it doesn't batch materials and textures, unless I do them one at a time, that alone, will add many weeks to my project (recreating many complex materials, blind,...) 
THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING, you gave me an incredible gift with the ability to help multiple Devs, recover their vintage projects, for reviving in VR even if none of the original assets are available! (I am even experimenting, with using 'Dummy BluePrints' in a game build./.. (with the exact 'right name') then swapping in the powerful, complex, useful, (but unfortunately, 'cooked') BluePrints!!!!, see if their functionality, can be...  incorporated...  'RE-INCORPORATED' THAT IS lol///..

So,. any hope on the batch process problem? (OR even better, a more direct way, to go from an unencrypted .pak of cooked assets,  back into Unreal as textured meshes,  bypassing 3ds Max etc?)

THANK YOU AS ALWAYS FOR THIS WONDERFUL POWER AND TOOLSET! 

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, GILDOR THE GREAT!
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 22:58 »

Hi.
Batch converter script will work correctly only if you don't need to change import settings in between of doing import of multiple models. If settings (for instance, texture path) have to be changed, batch conversion will fail.
If settings don't require to be changed, but you can import textured model into Max and not able to perform batch conversion, then this is either a bug, or some mismatch in Max's fbx export settings - there are lots of them, and batch converter sets only part of them. Try to perform conversion by hands at least once - import model with textures using my script, then save it into fbx, and check the model. This will store fbx settings default values which will be used by batch converter. After that, try using batch.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 23:01 by Gildor » Logged
SchoolHomeVR

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 00:39 »

Hmm,.  ... Maybe if I simplify my question:

If the SAME EXACT FILES in the SAME EXACT FOLDERS work fine one at a time, (their materiasl and textures are found) .  Why not during batch?. Nothing different except more than one processed at a time,. :
....  Can you maybe explain a little different?   What is the batch tool for am I misunderstanding?   Is there any fix or advice?  What if I put all the textures, and models and materials, all in the same folder, SAME FOLDER, will that work? 

I don't understand why it finds the textures if I do them one at a time,  one at a time, but not 2 or 200 at a time! Smiley  That can't be right,.Huh?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 09:17 »

What is the batch tool for am I misunderstanding?
Batch script simply simulates GUI actions to load model and save it in a different format. It uses exactly the same code as main importer, probably except that in a case of "hand work" you'll select fbx export options yourself, but for batch - script sets some of fbx options automatically.
SchoolHomeVR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 20:03 »

Thanks,..  I went back in Umodel and looked, sure enough the ones I am having trouble with, are not displaying with Textures in Umodel, Some have misnamed Materials, some seem to have temp 'dummy' materials, BUT but the right materials and textures are there and being exported by Umodel! Smiley
so:
Last Material question!
If I have a Pskx file, and a .Mat file (that I know goes with it) and corresponding textures,  but the Pskx mesh, has a wrong material in game, so Umodel can not apply it when exporting)   is there any way to use the correct mat file' (that fortunately is also being exported by Umodel), to link up with the Pskx (OR the Max or the FBX?)
        In other words I guess, What 'format' or software,  is the Mat file from Umodel compatible with?   For instance, What if I exported to Obj (from Max) then re-imported with the (now correctly named) .mat file that Umodel also exported, would it see that as a  legitimate Mat file?

ps.  .dds is an amazing format, thanks for introducing me!   I was going to go and "Photoshop action' to compress all the .tga files and then saw that!
  THANKS! 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 20:08 by SchoolHomeVR » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 22:29 »

.mat file is just some extension I selected for storing material information. It's entirely custom.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: