March 29, 2024, 09:54
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Tris back to quads  (Read 447 times)
dreamer

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2019, 23:17 »

Hi,
When you extract the meshes they are in tris (instead of quads). Is there a way to reverse this and get them back to quads? I know that there are "tri to quad" tools in packages like Blender, but they are just 'guessing' the original retopology so they make mistakes. Is there a way to get the original quads somehow?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 23:21 »

All meshes in all games and game DCC software are made with triangles. Hardware can't render quads.
dreamer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 00:01 »

Thanks!
But when the meshes are made (e.g. in Maya/3DS/Blender) they are mostly quads, right? It's only the game engines that turn them into tri-based meshes? So I'm wondering if it's possible to turn the tri-based meshes that we extract with Umodel back into quad-based meshes?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 00:28 »

Everything is made with triangles in Unreal. Also, file formats which I'm using for export works with triangles. No quads are there. Actually, from my experience, I didn't see quad-based meshes anywhere - neither at work nor at game engines. Fbx file format has possibility to store any shapes for surfaces, however all code which works with fbx uses only triangles.

Also, most shapes can't be represented with quads.

If you want to get quads for some particular meshes, this is a task for the DCC tool you're using. And not the task for UModel or importer script.
dreamer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 00:41 »

OK. Thank you for your help and for the excellent tool.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: