Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: License for umodel source code  (Read 30838 times)
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
Re: License for umodel source code
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 10:11 »

I'm too busy to release it Smiley
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 14:55 »

Sorry. I know, I've promised to release umodel source code. But currently I'm looking for a job in gamedev and I'm decided to delay source code release until I'll find a job (I can use this program as my "resume"). I hope you'll understand me.
pixellegolas
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 16:15 »

You should not excuse yourself. This is tool is helping you a bit with extra money, so fat I have not supported you but I had problem with paypal and will too soon Smiley

Keep it until you have a job!
Alcatraz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 11:14 »

So? Any progress *releasing* the source? At least under GPL, if you dont want other people to overuse your work...
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 11:20 »

Not now.
About GPL - I don't like this license.
Skykila
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 14:34 »

MIT?

I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.
Oscar Wilde
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 14:40 »

I will choose appropriate license (probably with the help of community) when the release date will be closer. Currently I'm busy finding a new job and learning English. As I said before, source code will be released after my employment (or when I'll decide to stop umodel's development).
Eliot_VU

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2012, 09:51 »

Why would that matter, if you release it before a job? You make it sound like they won't hire you if it's open-source? I believe open-source has a higher chance of employment due discovery through your work Smiley
enqueue90

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 19:32 »

Hi Gildor.
First of all: Umodel is just a masterpiece of software, thanks. Do you already have decided if you publish the software? If you need help with publishing the source-code I could assist you (code formatting and cleanup, license notice adding, public repository setup etc.). According to the discussion here, you already decided to choose BSD as license. 

I am currently working on a small PCC Browser/Viewer GUI targeting to export the data to several formats. The project is just for personal purposes. My plan is to export models,textures, levels etc. for later usage in my 3D modeling software. But it still lacks a lot of features. I think it would be a lot easier to me to just adapt umodel for my personal needs.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 11:28 »

Hi all,

I know that I promised to release umodel source code for a very long time. I have some free time now, and I'm really ready to release it. Now I'm looking for appropriate license. Earlier we considered that BSD license is good enough. But I'd like to change license conditions a bit.
  • Do you want people to do anything they like with your code? - yes
  • Do you want other people to use your code in a commercial application? - no - that's changed, commercial use of software should require separate license
  • If other people change your code and release new programs, do you want them to release their updated code? - no
  • Do you want people to give you credit whenever your code is used? - yes
I did conversations with some users on my forum, but all we was able to find is CC BY-NC. By the way, this license is not recommended for software.

Perhaps, dual license?

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:44 by Gildor » Logged
Maddmatt

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2014, 20:44 »

Gildor:

I have released some code/projects professionally and there are many ways that will legally stand up just fine. For these purposes you can simple have your zip file that contains the downloadable source to also include a separate license.txt file stipulating your requests. There really isnt much more needed than that

I hope that helps as i just need to review the source for modding reasons and will not be repurposing your code at all

Thanks again,
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2014, 01:14 »

I believe most standard licenses still requires some text to be included into any source file. Of course, for me is a preferred not to dirty my source code with some long "license headers" (which all should be updated when New Year happens!), and just include some text file into archive. But I can't write my own license - I'm skilled in a bit different area.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2014, 19:52 »

Does anybody knows - is it possible to set, for example, license to "BSD", but specify that it's active for non-commercial use only, and for commercial use developer should ask me about some "special" license?

Also, I'm thinking about uploading the source to GitHub, but I need to solve some problems first
1) I have SVN database with full umodel history - I'd like to find a way to upload in with conversion to git - as archive. I found some tutorial how to import SVN database to GitHub, but that's dedicated to some online svn service, not for offline database
2) I'll need to strip parts (some directories) from my svn database, because it also contains some tools I'd prefer to not share - not sure how to do that

Of course I can simply upload some zip file with sources to my site, but use of GitHub looks more interesting (despite I dislike Git, but mostly for their branching everywhere, even when not needed Smiley)
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2014, 23:30 »

The source code of Umodel and relative tools has been released.
http://www.gildor.org/smf/index.php/topic,2392.0.html
Jump to: