Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: tribes ascend  (Read 61680 times)
SeptaScarabae

View Profile
Re: tribes ascend
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2012, 04:14 »

It is very strange that I never got such emails ...

Agreed. You must not have as big an operation as Churchie. Tongue
Noxwizard

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2012, 09:02 »

@Laksen: I ended up writing my own in C++ since yours still has some trouble with the alpha layers. They don't come out smoothly around the image's edges, which is something I needed. I might toss it on GitHub, I'm not sure yet. I'm not really familiar with the Targa format, so sometimes the images come out upside down, but that's easy enough for me to correct manually. While I was doing that, I wrote down the file spec more clearly here: http://wiki.theexiled.pwnageservers.com/Tribes:_Ascend/FileSpecs/TextureCache Feel free to add to it if you'd like. gildor may be able to comment more on the header spec, since I believe this is really just the UDK spec with zlib compression thrown on top.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2012, 11:13 »

Looked at the specs. There is nothing in common with original structures used in tfc.
Laksen

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2012, 12:39 »

@Laksen: I ended up writing my own in C++ since yours still has some trouble with the alpha layers. They don't come out smoothly around the image's edges, which is something I needed. I might toss it on GitHub, I'm not sure yet. I'm not really familiar with the Targa format, so sometimes the images come out upside down, but that's easy enough for me to correct manually. While I was doing that, I wrote down the file spec more clearly here: http://wiki.theexiled.pwnageservers.com/Tribes:_Ascend/FileSpecs/TextureCache Feel free to add to it if you'd like. gildor may be able to comment more on the header spec, since I believe this is really just the UDK spec with zlib compression thrown on top.
I don't have the time to edit it, but you have some small errors in there. There's a 1 byte header for each mipmap chunk which is always 1(apparently). And the zlib header is 2 bytes. The length and decompressed size fields are swapped. The last field of the mipmap chunk is the amount of compressed bytes to be read
Noxwizard

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2012, 21:27 »

There's a 1 byte header for each mipmap chunk which is always 1(apparently). And the zlib header is 2 bytes.
Oops, late night editing strikes again. Roll Eyes

The length and decompressed size fields are swapped. The last field of the mipmap chunk is the amount of compressed bytes to be read
I'm pretty sure they're in the correct order. The last DWORD is the size of the data when it has been uncompressed. This seems to be the same order that you read them in as well.
Code:
result.Fragments[i].Offset := s.ReadDWord;
result.Fragments[i].Length := s.ReadDWord;
result.Fragments[i].Bytes  := s.ReadDWord;

ms := TMemoryStream.Create;
      try
         ms.CopyFrom(fs, length);
         ms.Seek(0, soFromBeginning);

zs := Tdecompressionstream.Create(ms, true);
         try
            SetLength(bits, bytes);
            // Read the ZIP compressed data
            zs.ReadBuffer(Bits[0], bytes);
Churchie

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2012, 11:30 »

Okay, All legal stuff is behind me. Back to doing it publicly. I was blogging about it and they realized what all I could do, so I submitted an application to them and they turned it down. then I sent them an external hard drive as my resume with the entire game de-compiled. That is when I received the Cease and desist letter. I guess they don't want to hire me, no worries, I am going to mod the shit out of the game now.

I have been able to de-compile the whole game back to original formats. All files non compressed. The issue I am still stuck at is recompiling them back without having to spend hours cooking the whole game.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2012, 11:35 »

I've got some free time and performed my own research of texture cache formats. They are differs from original UE3 because Hi-Rez Studios utilizes procedural textures library developed by Allegorithmic.

So, Tribes: Ascend is fully supported now (even sounds).

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 09:11 by gildor » Logged
Churchie

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2012, 09:56 »

Grrr at Hi-Rez, If you patched today to get the new content, you will notice that the game will repair aka redownload/repair all of the decompiled files. grrrrrr... might as well just reinstall...
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2012, 10:18 »

Unreal engine 3 package system must be updated to work fine with frequent content updates. Hi-Rez Studios didn't do anything to achieve that. They have to learn from their Korean colleagues Smiley
pixellegolas
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2012, 17:49 »

*thumbs up*
Jump to: