Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: GUI for umodel  (Read 27477 times)
fritz

View Profile
GUI for umodel
« on: January 12, 2010, 13:10 »

Note from Gildor: starting from September 2014, UModel has its own built-in GUI which is actively developed and probably you'll be interested in it.

Please look at this video showing UI in action.

I've been using umodel for a little while now and I was getting tired of doing everything through the command line so I wrote a quick GUI (it is a shell really I guess) for umodel.

Screen Shot

It basically just takes the users input and passes it to umodel. It then captures and displays the output from umodel.
I do plan to release this, but it still has some bugs and some UI things I want to change to make it more user friendly. I just thought I would give you all a little sneak peek.

EDIT: I've released umodelGUI. I will update this post when I release a new version so that the latest version is always attached here. Let me know if you have any issues with umodelGUI.

There are a couple of things I want to change/add at some point down the road. I haven't found a good way to integrate selecting multiple packages in the GUI, so for now use the Additional Args field and the -pkg switch for this. I don't like the way the game override is right now. I'll change this to a drop down eventually.

Change Log:
2/10/2011
NOTE: Due to exams I haven't had time to test this release. Everything should work, but if you encounter any issues let me know.
EDIT: Output dir needs to be enclosed in quotes for any directory with a space in it.
  • Added support for new umodel features.
  • Updated file type list.

11/20/2010
  • Added support for new umodel features and fixed some bugs.
  • There is a new field for an output directory.
  • The game over ride was not working before, but should be now.

8/18/10
  • Added support for new umodel features.
  • The game can be changed via the new textbox at the bottom. You only need to put the game tag in this box.
  • The pskx/psax option has been added under the export options menu.
  • A -taglist option has been added under the view menu. It will print to the output box.

7/1/10
  • The window can now be resized
  • The size of the difference UI elements can now be adjusted.

6/14/10
  • The bug causing an error when selecting packages for some games should be fixed now.
  • Added -noxbox compatibility switch
  • Added DEBUG-OUT to umodelGUI

For debugging and error checking you can now type DEBUG-OUT in to the additional arguments box and it will print the list output to the output box rather than parsing it for the file list.

3/14/10
Update to add support for lods switch. The new option is under the export options menu.

I've recently installed a new OS on my machine and switched from VS express to VS professional. Because I'm on a new OS I don't have any unreal based games installed yet so I have been unable to test this update. It should be fine, but because I've switched to VS pro it might not be fine. I've attached it as umodelGUI_lod_update.zip. Let me know if you have any issues.

1/23/10
Quick bug fix/workaround.
  • Added a progress bar to let you know how populated the file list is.
  • The package tree is now disabled while the file list is being populated.
  • The package tree should populate slightly faster now.

1/20/10
I'm finally releasing this. This will probably be the last update I do for awhile unless one of you finds a bug.
  • Layout has been reworked again. Export and view options are now in menus. Right click on a package to export it, and double click on a package to view it. The same is true for files. Right click on a file from the file list to export it, and double click on the file to view it.
  • umodelGUI no longer becomes unresponsive when you select a large script package.
  • When you select a script package it will ask you if you want to view the output using the standard umodel output. If you select yes, it will print it in the output box. If you select no, it will populate the file list with the output. I do not recommend selecting no if the .u file is larger than about 150KB. If you do select no with a large file be prepared to wait.

1/14/10 (Beta release)
This is a beta release because I haven't had a chance to try everything out yet. I'll fairly sure that everything will work as expected, but until I have a chance to make sure everything works I'm labeling it as beta. Be sure to let me know if you find any bugs.
  • All package types can now be used. Thanks to Gildor for the list.
  • List output is now parsed and put in to a list. You can sort this list alphabetically by either name or file type.
  • Double clicking on a package will view the package.
  • Double clicking on a file from the file list will view that file.

1/13/10
  • Implemented more ideas from Gildor. You should use the games root package directory as the package dir. For most UE3 games this is CookedPC. A directory tree will then be populated with the folders and packages in that directory. The selected package in that tree will then be used when passing things to umodel.
  • Compatibility options are no longer in right click menus and are back to check boxes.
  • I did some major code restructuring for this release and I haven't tested it as much as I did the first release so make sure to let me know if you find a bug!

[вложение удалено Администратором]
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 01:06 by Gildor » Logged
pixellegolas
Sponsor

View Profile
Re: GUI for uModel
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 20:46 »

great stuff. I have no problem with commands because I always use a .bat file with the options I need but some people are not familiar with it. Good thinking and hope it will be released to make more people comfortable with umodel
Ace-Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 22:18 »

You could make this a forum release (ofc ask Gildor first).

I personally also prefer Commands, since they're faster and never 'hang-up' on me, however this is a great start. Should make easier to those people 'less savvy' in the CMD and batch area.

fritz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 01:09 »

I did a quick update this morning to clean things up a bit and simplify everything.

What things do right now:
  • The package dir is the directory that packages are stored in. The packages in that directory are then displayed in the list on the right.
  • File name is the name of a file within a package that you want to view or export with uModel. If you select something in the output area your selection becomes the file name. This way you don't have to copy and paste or retype the file name. You just select it from the list output.
  • Launch uModel launches uModel (of course).
  • List displays a list of files in the selected package.
  • When one of the check boxes is checked the corresponding argument is passed to uModel when uModel is launched.
  • If you want to use an argument that doesn't have a check box you can specify it in the additional args box.

If Gildor is ok with it I'm ready to release it. Anything you guys would like to see added before I release?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 01:23 »

I have no objections against your program Smiley
A few comments:
  • "umodel" should be typed in a lower case; usually "uModel" may be misunderstood as "µModel" Smiley
  • directory with packages - usually "CookedPC" or "CookedXbox", it should be searched for packages recursively (if you have supplied its value as "-path" argument)
  • "-md5" and "-all" switches are meaningful for export command only
  • "-meshes" is meanungful for viewing
  • "-nomesh", "-nostat", "-noanim" are compatilility switches (disable some code parts in a case of non-full supported title)

I think you should slightly change options layout and names:
    Code:
    [o] view
      [x] meshes only (-meshes)
    [o] export
      [x] use md5 format (-md5)
      [x] export linked contens (-all)
      [x] generate .uc files (-uc)
    [o] list package contents
    -----
    Compatibility:
    [x] disable skeletal mesh loading (-nomesh)
    [x] disable skeletal animation loading (-noanim)
    [x] disable static mesh loading (-nostat)
    (of course, it is your decision, it's only my opinion)
fritz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 05:27 »

Update and release!

Gildor's suggestions on the layout gave me an idea so I redid a bunch of it. All of those check boxes have been moved to the right click menus for the corresponding button. For example, if you right click on export you get a menu with MD5, All, and uc. You can then check (or uncheck) the options you want in the right click menu and when you click the export button they are used as arguments.

You are going to need .Net Framework 3.5 in order to use this. If you are running windows, you probably already have it, but in case you don't here's the link.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=AB99342F-5D1A-413D-8319-81DA479AB0D7&displaylang=en

umodelGUI.exe needs to be in the same directory as umodel.exe.

If you come across any bugs or have any issues with umodelGUI let me know.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 11:07 by the_fritz » Logged
Ace-Angel

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 19:13 »

Nice, much improved mate!
fritz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 02:55 »

I got slightly carried away today and I need your guys' advise.
I changed a lot of things today. The biggest being that I'm now parsing the list output and compiling a list of files from it.

My question is, what do you all think I should do with the output box? I'm thinking of removing it and replacing it with the list. (I do plan to improve the list so that it is more readable before I release. I'm looking in to sorting by type and name right now).
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 03:51 »

Output may contain error messages. It is not needed when everything is ok, but it is required in a case of error - you may analyze it by yourself or report a bug for me.
fritz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 04:43 »

That is one of the reasons I'm torn about getting rid of it. For right now I've moved it and made it much smaller.

Thoughts?

UPDATE:
I noticed that with the changes I've made I don't really need stuff like the list a view button. My plan for today is to remove the view, list, and export buttons and find a better place for them. I'll keep a list here of changes throughout the day and probably release sometime tonight. I probably wont do another update like this for awhile.

• Remove View button. Complete! To view a file you double click on it in the file list. To view all of the files in a package you double click on the package in the tree. The view right click items (-Meshes) have been moved to a menu bar.
  • Remove list button. Complete! Selecting a package from the tree now creates the file list so the view button was redundant anyways.
  • Remove export button. Complete! Export options are now in the menu bar and to export a file you right click on it and select export. If you want to export an entire package, you right click on the package and select export.
  • Rework layout to account for less stuff. Complete! Things are moved and improved!

I've pretty much finished everything I wanted to get done, but I've discovered a pretty serious issue and I'm trying to find out if it needs fixing. Some games put all of their code in to 1 or 2 .u packages. Mass Effect for example has a .u package called BIOC_Base that seems to contain most of the game play uscript. Currently trying to open this file is causing umodelGUI some issues. There are so many files to populate in the fileList that umodelGUI grinds to a halt. Right now I'm letting it sit to see if it ever finishes processing and populates the list.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 03:38 by fritz » Logged
smitt

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 05:16 »

please give me link for download this program
fritz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 05:47 »

The program is attached to the first post, you can download it there.
Komodo1138
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 06:40 »

Well this is my first post and well all i want to say is great job on the gui Fritz. I helps out alot
fritz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 23:49 »

I've finally posted the update. Let me know if you find bugs!
SuspendedNight

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 21:16 »

Great program Fritz, this really helps ppl who aren't good with command prompts. But I've got one question about this. I used the GUI to open the Botpack package for the original unreal tournament, the screen to display models comes up but all I can see is the automag, how do you advance though all the models in the package? Also, the GUI "hangs" (says not responding) after I did this.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 21:18 by SuspendedNight » Logged
Jump to: