Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: Problem with missing Bioshock 2 textures, Can you help ??  (Read 11053 times)
Nobby76

View Profile
Problem with missing Bioshock 2 textures, Can you help ??
« on: January 02, 2011, 00:47 »

Hi guys. Happy new year. Smiley  Big fan of gildors work, keep it up dude!

I know Bioshock 2 isn't  really a new game any more, but i thought id have a go at extracting some of the models anyway. I've ran into a problem tho. I seem to be missing a few textures..  Undecided
Mainly some from the main characters weapons such as... i think its the spear gun, the one that gets the scope upgrade on it.. ive got all the textures for the scope and even a Normal map for the main weapon, but no diffuse or specular maps for it. But the one im really annoyed about is the Drill ( the one the player carries, not the one "bouncer" carries ) i got almost no textures for that at all. when i was extracting, i basically extracted every map archive, one at at time, so i could get everything then pick and choose what i wanted to convert. and ive checked in every texture folder that it extracted and they all seem to be missing some textures, there are SOME textures relating to the drill... THESE ( fig.1 )

Fig.1

I loaded the model into a 3d editor so i could look at the UV map (fig.2). and the only 2 images that seem to relate to this objects uv map are " drill blood overlay" and "Drill tip hide " when they are combined they form this (fig.3), which matches up with the UV perfectly
Fig.2 Fig.3

In desperation i even tried DXripper on bioshock 2. but as im running win 7x64 with a nvidia 8800 ( dx10 card ) i cant even get Dxripper to force boishock to start in Dx9 mode, so i can't even get the textures that way..  Cry

So what im really hoping is, if some kind person has already extracted from bioshock 2 and has those drill textures ( really i just want the colour, specular and normal maps, but if there are more, great ) if they would be willing to let me have them. I dont really care even if you get them with DXripper and the file names are all screwed up, that doesn't matter i can rename them and assign them manually. But if someone out there has those textures, PLEASE could you let me have them, out of all the textures i seem to be missing those are the only ones i actually want.
Or failing that, please explain to me how i can extract those textures from the archives, as i just cant seem to find them anywhere.

Thanks in advance.. Nobby

If for some reason its against board rules to post those files openly, then please PM them to me. thanks.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 00:57 by Nobby76 » Logged
Nobby76

View Profile
Re: Problem with missing Bioshock 2 textures, Can you help ??
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 21:48 »

Never mind, figured out a rather ass backwards way of doing it but it works at least, so i have the textures now. Emergency over..
MegaScience

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 03:09 »

I'm not exactly sure, but I was thinking this was mine and Relights fault. We were speaking with gildor about adding support for BioShock 2 DLC files from Xbox 360, and so he messed with a bunch of settings. In the end, it kinda messed up how they came out for the DLC. We never checked how the changes effected PC side...

Don't take me word for it, though. I don't know exactly what gildor did.
Nobby76

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 17:03 »

Ahhh i see, a possible fix in one place may have broken something else  Smiley  It happens from time to time.

well i all could see was a few textures do not get extracted, and it only seemed to be from weapons that the player handles. Such as the drill, the spear-gun and a few others and mainly it was the diffuse/colour map that wasn't present altho a few normal maps were missing too.

As i said i found a way around it, it was a nasty work around but at least it worked Cheesy
I needed a proper ripping/extraction station anyway, as i am running DX10 ( a win 7 x64 machine with a nvidia 8800 gfx card ) so i installed a virtual machine on my pc ( with an XP install ) so now i have a dx9 station i can use. so if umodel struggles with something i can always drop it into the virtual machine and DXripper the file, which is how i got the missing textures for the drill i needed.

It would probably be best if you guys spoke to Gildor again and get him to have a poke around to see what he changed in the files, as altho i managed a work around id imagine not that many people are gonna be willing to go through the same hassles i did. Plus if its broken, it needs fixing  Smiley
In the end, the models came out quite good...

MegaScience

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 03:25 »

Ahhh i see, a possible fix in one place may have broken something else  Smiley  It happens from time to time.

well i all could see was a few textures do not get extracted, and it only seemed to be from weapons that the player handles. Such as the drill, the spear-gun and a few others and mainly it was the diffuse/colour map that wasn't present altho a few normal maps were missing too.

As i said i found a way around it, it was a nasty work around but at least it worked Cheesy
I needed a proper ripping/extraction station anyway, as i am running DX10 ( a win 7 x64 machine with a nvidia 8800 gfx card ) so i installed a virtual machine on my pc ( with an XP install ) so now i have a dx9 station i can use. so if umodel struggles with something i can always drop it into the virtual machine and DXripper the file, which is how i got the missing textures for the drill i needed.

It would probably be best if you guys spoke to Gildor again and get him to have a poke around to see what he changed in the files, as altho i managed a work around id imagine not that many people are gonna be willing to go through the same hassles i did. Plus if its broken, it needs fixing  Smiley
In the end, the models came out quite good...

-snip-

Ya, we definitely didn't need that process when we extracted before the modifications. I, myself, don't talk directly to him. He drops in the topics every now and then as long as there's activity. To elaborate, we were trying to add 360 support since the DLC content is only for it. Hopefully he'll be in here soon.
Jump to: