Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: Universal Decooker  (Read 7515 times)
Digika

View Profile
Re: Universal Decooker
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2021, 22:53 »

I understand there are not currently any tools that can do a proper decooking, and you said in another forum post that it would likely take a year to develop such a tool.

Here is a lil script that uncook few stuff (at least in 4.22) Smiley You need to use it as UE4 Editor Utility Widgets !

Feel free to improve it, it's entirely experimental, so I can't really vouch for its stability.

Can you elaborate what it does, i read the thread but still confused what this is. It decooks what?
Soulax

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2021, 23:47 »

Since Unreal 4.22 you can load cooked asset(.uasset .uexp) in the engine itself. But that requiere that you use the same engine version as the file was cook with.
So this DeCooker will turn a cooked asset into uncooked asset. That will allow you to export the asset in any other vanilla engine version.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 23:49 by Soulax » Logged
Digika

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2021, 23:53 »

This is aligned with my interests. Can you elaborate on that? I have a few problems with your statements.

Since Unreal 4.22 you can load cooked asset(.uasset .uexp) in the engine itself.
Uasset is jus ta binary container, it does not represent a specific data, it can represent any kind of data - serialized mesh, texture, map, data table, string table, audio, bleprints, etc. Each has unique structure so when you say
So this DeCooker will turn a cooked asset into uncooked asset.
I'm having a bit of a hard time to understand this. I worked on datatable/stringtable and some custom format deserialization to json and I know how unique to asset and how unstable structure from version to version, just TextProperty can have up to 20 variations in binary serialized form.

Which assets it can "uncook"? How is "uncooking happens"? How can I make it compatible with 4.26.2?

Also, regarding
But that requiere that you use the same engine version as the file was cook with.
That will allow you to export the asset in any other vanilla engine version.
This is actually not correct. You cant load into any vanilla (redist. via Epic launcher), you need to rebuild the Editor with an extra flag that enables this abiltiy and then tick the tickbox in the settings. yes, typical dumb UE4 way of doing things.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 23:56 by Digika » Logged
Soulax

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2021, 00:34 »

I'll make a tutorial this week
Digika

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2021, 02:18 »

I'll make a tutorial this week
Sure, I'd be mighty interested if I can uncook maps, materials, and, by some miracrle, blueprints/custom data to do even just view inspection in the editor.
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2021, 02:30 »

@Digika: Judging by the code, it uncooks only skeletal meshes, animations and physics - and probably it's limited to some engine version(s) and particular game(s). But considering that we're at umodel forum, I think it's enough for start.
As for how it works - it's not like editor totally can't understand some standard cooked assets (meshes/textures with vanilla format), it's just some info is stripped from them, compared to editor assets. So with a workaround like that you can parse minimum amount of required data from cooked assets and re-create a working editor asset - all from within the editor, without need to recompile it due to utility widgets usage. If I remember correctly, there is a topic nearby with some more advanced, but more theoretical stuff for loading cooked maps in the editor.  

@Soulax: It's better to create separate topic with tutorial for your decooker, to avoid possible misunderstandings. And thanks in advance, even if it works with some limitations, it's probably possible to extend its support in the future.
Jump to: