March 29, 2024, 19:00
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: ASE export issue  (Read 352 times)
emuroland

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2022, 14:19 »

I would like to ask for help to solve a problem.

Recently I start to use Actorx importer script for 3DS and unfortunatelly I've got some strange errors.
Actually I've managed to export some staticmeshes using Umodel, then I start to batch export ing them as ASE. Seemingly everything works fine. On screen the script opened the pskx files and textured them.

When I tried to import these ASE files into ue2runtime the editor give an error message:

ASE Importer Error: Did you forget to include geometry AND materials in the export?

Faces: 84, Texture Coordinates(channel 0): 0

ASE files got imported, but there are only gray textures on them. If I try to apply new skins nothing happens, no details visible on the surfaces of staticmeshes.

I would be very pleased if someone can give me an advise, what did I wrong or how can I solve this problem.

Thank you very much in advance!

emuroland
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 16:52 »

I'm not familiar with earlier engines, but maybe export format from 3ds max is not directly compatible with UE2 editor? I found some toolset here, maybe ASEtoT3D is what you need.
emuroland

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 17:54 »

Thank you! I'll try it and post back.
emuroland

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 09:42 »

Nope! Another error message and an editor crash.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 12:43 »

If you're "new" for this, I'd suggest not using BATCH script, but doing conversion to ASE for a single model, without use of my Batch Converter, but using Max's UI directly, just to see how it works.
emuroland

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2022, 14:19 »

I'm not realy familiar with 3DS because mostly Blender is my "workplatform" . I start to use your batchexport because I don't want to spend hours to convert hundreds of files 1 by 1 under Blender . So may be I'm lazy yes. Firstly I would like to thank you for this amazing batchexport.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 14:22 by emuroland » Logged
OBAN

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2023, 00:29 »

I also have the same problem when I import .ase files to UE2

But I have noticed that this problem only occurs in those models that are of the skeletalmesh type

If the model is of type staticmesh you can use the batch script without problems to import the model in UE2.

I have also noticed that if the model is squeletalmesh when using umodel is extracted as a .psk file. On the other hand, with those that are of the staticmesh type, the model are extracted as .pskx file

I don't know much about using 3D modeling software, but I think the problem is due to converting a skeletalmesh file to ASE format. I think UE2 has problems importing a file that is originally a skeletalnmesh

Maybe the solution is to convert the skeletalmesh to staticmesh in 3dMax and then just export it as an ASE file.

well maybe someone with more knowledge of 3Dmax can tell us if this is possible or not.
OBAN

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2023, 21:03 »

To avoid errors when importing .ase files to UE2. It is necessary to prepare the geometries in 3D Studio Max as detailed in the following link.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/udk/Two/MAXtoUnreal.html

When using the batch exporter of the ActorX importer it will always generate problems with the .ase files generated from skeletalmeshes because skeletalmeshes contain bones to which no material is assigned.

To fix this issue, the actorx importer must be used to import the model into 3D studio Max. and then edit the model removing the bones and make sure that all the geometries have a material assigned.

then the model must be exported to .ase format using the 3D studio max UI (The batch exporter must not be used)

Following this procedure I have been able to avoid errors when importing .ase files to UE2
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: