Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: Atomic Heart  (Read 2893 times)
Digika

View Profile
Atomic Heart
« on: February 19, 2023, 17:38 »

Game: Atomic Heart
UE4 version: 4.27.2 (some custom changes)

Quite a few of the Static and Skeletal Meshes work out of the box. The rest, more complex one, will crash, but can be viewed with this modified "materials" UM build (thread with info). There still will be some SKs that will crash but you can count them by the fingers of your hand.

Bigger issue is that there seems to be some changes to animations (?). UModel is only able to find classic/default UE 4.27.2 animations, but extra custom ones it fails to parse and skips.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 05:14 by Digika » Logged
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
Re: Atomic Heart
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 22:32 »

AES key: in the same place as usual (link), required only for ms store/gamepass version

I don't understand why devs are using mixing animations in their games lately, it's already third one within a month. Maybe those are supposed to be modified frequently (so they don't bother with conversion) or to be additive ones (though ACL can handle them in its own ways if needed).

Anyway, use specific build from this topic with support for most assets - no special override is required, simply choose proper engine version. I made some adjustments, now less skeletal meshes should crash, which affects other games as well (like Quarry). Feel free to report non-working meshes from official release when it's out, since for dev version some issues may be unrelated to umodel. Also, "material" builds are now able to skip ACL animations with respective warning in logs, suggesting to use appropriate build.

* Clipboard01.jpg (116.68 KB, 2550x1238 - viewed 549 times.)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 04:34 by spiritovod » Logged
Modphex

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 04:59 »

Game: Atomic Heart
UE4 version: 4.27.2 (some custom changes)
Pre-release-path: no AES
Release patch: Huh?

Quite a few of the Static and Skeletal Meshes work out of the box. The rest, more complex one, will crash, but can be viewed with this modified "materials" UM build (thread with info). There still will be some SKs that will crash but you can count them by the fingers of your hand.

Bigger issue is that there seems to be some changes to animations (?). UModel is only able to find classic/default UE 4.27.2 animations, but extra custom ones it fails to parse and skips.

I can't download the file, it says that the file is in the trash of the proprietary, can you upload again or make it available?

Edit: Sorry, i assume that is the same on the "Thread with info", since i just tried that one and loads the mesh and materials.

Thanks.

Thanks in advance. Greetings.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 05:04 by Modphex » Logged
mark2580

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 12:37 »

I don't understand why devs are using mixing animations in their games lately, it's already third one within a month. Maybe those are supposed to be modified frequently (so they don't bother with conversion) or to be additive ones (though ACL can handle them in its own ways if needed).

Anyway, use specific build from this topic with support for most assets - no special override is required, simply choose proper engine version. I made some adjustments, now less skeletal meshes should crash, which affects other games as well (like Quarry). Feel free to report non-working meshes from official release when it's out, since for dev version some issues may be unrelated to umodel. Also, "material" builds are now able to skip ACL animations with respective warning in logs, suggesting to use appropriate build.
yesterday I tried to open the models of this game, there part opens with umodel_acl_2.0b part opens with umodel_acl_2.1 (for example animations) but during animations I noticed bugs with polygons, I don’t know if this is a problem in build or somewhere else...

* photo_2023-02-19_23-37-16.jpg (198.92 KB, 927x1002 - viewed 446 times.)

MARK2580
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 14:43 »

@mark2580: I'd recommend to not use 2.0 builds for any games, which are not listed as tested with them in the original topic. In recent games those builds can only work with native UE animations, for the rest (actual ACL animations) they will just crash due to differences between ACL versions. It happens because there are games using mixed animations (both native ones and ACL). As result, it confuses you and probably other people reading your posts.

As for polygons, it's probably due to core umodel limits, because it can handle only 4 bone influences per vertex, while the game can use up to 12 influences, especially detailed models, which affects animations. I was thinking about doing something with it, but related changes will only affect export (not viewer), if implemented.

Update: This issue can't be reproduced with official steam version and latest acl 2.1 build, at least visually. If someone has other examples of visually noticeable issues like mentioned above, please let me know.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 18:21 by spiritovod » Logged
mark2580

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 11:04 »

Update: This issue can't be reproduced with official steam version and latest acl 2.1 build, at least visually. If someone has other examples of visually noticeable issues like mentioned above, please let me know.
I only have a dev build so far...

MARK2580
Dreadfred
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2023, 05:54 »

Not the problem that mark2580 has. I think its bone influences per vertex (more than 4) I get similar problem with other games the Calisto Protocol etc.

"related changes will only affect export (not viewer), if implemented", would be awesome.
mark2580

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2023, 13:19 »

Not the problem that mark2580 has. I think its bone influences per vertex (more than 4) I get similar problem with other games the Calisto Protocol etc.
"related changes will only affect export (not viewer), if implemented", would be awesome.
you opened another model and I mentioned earlier that I only have dev assembly available, maybe when I get the files of the final version, it will be better there (I already understood about the weight of more than 4 bones).

MARK2580
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2023, 17:53 »

@Dreadfred: Thanks. It would be helpful if you could provide similar samples for any other game with similar issues in respective topics. For example, artifex0 was probably referencing to Marvel Midnight Suns when talked about the same problem.
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2023, 02:15 »

I've included dev build in archive with acl builds, for test purposes only. Weights normalization is disabled there and any mesh with more than 4 influences will look corrupted in the viewer, but you can export meshes with animations to gltf format with all available influences. This build also write additional info about influences to notify.log for every lod, so you can sort or filter meshes into different test groups if needed.
Specific build has a separate option now, which allows to export all weights if possible. Dev build is removed to avoid possible confusion.

Update: Dev build is updated, now weights are normalized for the viewer, but exported as-is for gltf.
Update 2: Another update, now there is separate option for exporting all available weights. If it's disabled, export works like in usual builds, including official one.
Update 3: All changes explained above are incorporated into acl 2.1 and materials builds, while dev build is removed for now.

Result looks more correct than before, but there is other issue and I'm not sure what's causing it - data itself, umodel or blender - which looks like temporary defects at certain frames (maybe related to interpolation).

* Clipboard01.jpg (83.68 KB, 1766x1051 - viewed 231 times.)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 16:02 by spiritovod » Logged
Dreadfred
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2023, 02:47 »

mark2580: I had dev build and didnt get the result you had/have is there more than one dev build? maybe it was umodel build.

spiritovod:
Wow, when you said "I was thinking about doing something with it" I thought it might take months not days, Awesome!!. The only change I would like is the option to export as pskx but I don't think blender or 3dsmax has pskx importer that supports more than four influences so pskx support would be pointless anyway.
Animation is not one to one of in game animation because (in my opinion) Characters skeleton asset has corrective joints/bones that blend position in and out at whatever point of animation they need to (set up in blueprint) which also might explain visual errors seen in blender. Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 06:37 by Dreadfred » Logged
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2023, 16:29 »

@Dreadfred: I believe actual games are using more data and options than available from umodel's export - like animation curves, compression settings or retargeting settings, etc - that's why getting perfect copy of in-game animation is hardly possible in most cases. As for psk version, like you've said it would also require to adjust existing import plugins and it's a bit more complex on umodel side than gltf.
Carpethop

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2023, 12:33 »

Hm, I’m wondering, would it be possible to export models with morphs from dev or release build?  rolleyes
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2023, 20:05 »

@Carpethop: Morphs should be supported in both builds mentioned in the topic, including export (it's separate option, disabled by default). If you have any particular problems with morphs, explain them in details.
Herok

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2023, 23:40 »

How to use these AES keys? Console just says: Wrong package tag (00000000)   Probably the file is encrypted. Where should I enter the AES key?
Jump to: