April 18, 2024, 07:03
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: UDK tricks  (Read 7158 times)
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2012, 22:31 »

I've decided to share some tricks which I've found when working with UDK. I hope these notes would be useful for somebody.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 22:56 by gildor » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 22:35 »

How to start UDK with a log:
Code:
udk.com -log
this command will force UDK executable to create a console window and print all logs there. If you're launching UDK.com from the console window, UDK will detach from this window and allocate another one.
I've written a small application which will let you to start UDK with logging to the same console where it was started from. The program is in attachment, including the source code.

How to use it:
  • place udkc.exe into the directory UDK/Binaries/Win32
  • start udkc.exe [arguments for udk.exe]
The program will automatically add "-log" switch, so it is not required. You may also start editor with udkc.exe too.

udkc.exe will not work with Win64 version of UDK. Also, it could not work on some systems (I don't know why, may be because of antivirus software).

I've asked Epic Games team to include this fix into the UDK executable itself so when "-log" switch is specified it will reuse existing console window when possible. Epic were agreed to do this after some tests, so probably this fix will appear in one of the future UDK builds (not fixed in DEC-2011 build).

[вложение удалено Администратором]
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 22:40 by gildor » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 22:54 »

Another one trick is to use UnrealFrontend to cook for targets other than PC. Most people are using either command line or third-party (and sometimes buggy) frontends to cook, for example, for CookedPCConsole. But it is possible to do this using packaged UDK tools!

Let's start UnrealFrontend and click on target selection. You'll see something like this:

Now, let's open a file Binaries/build.properties - this is an ordinary text file, you could use any text editor for modifications
Code:
timestampForBVT=2011-08-12_19.02.25
changelistBuiltFrom=976115
engineVersion=8788
UDK=1
You can see a line "UDK=1" there. Let's remove it, or change to "UDK=0". Now, launch the UnrealFrontend. What we can see?

Voila!
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 11:26 »

Some additional notes about enabling hidden targets in UnrealFrontEnd.
  • When you will enable licensee (non-UDK) mode, UnSetup button will disappear and it will be replaced with UnProp button. UnProp is another system for making game distributions available to engine licensees. If you want to use UnSetup you should either temporarily enable UDK mode or use command line to build game distribution.
  • I have informed Epic Games programmers about unavailability of PCServer and PCConsole targets and about missing UnSetup button. One of developers has replied that he has a task to do this but this task has too low priority to implement. So, in other words, modifying build.properties file to enable licensee mode is quite legal thing Smiley
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 15:04 »

Just found that May 2012 UDK has fix for "udk.com -log" mentioned in the second post here. Bug with Unreal Frontend is not fixed yet.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: