March 29, 2024, 05:58
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: how to export material expression,not only texture and .mat files  (Read 11978 times)
xicel

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2012, 06:37 »

material expression has a visual editor named Unreal Material Editor,i'm very interesting in how the final material is combined together.
Sadly,the export files of uModel seems only have the texture files and some .mat files with a briefing of the material, witch way could i get the entire material information.It would not be a problem if the final material expression show up as graphic view or not,even binary is OK,if someone knows how to make it,please help me.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 06:41 by xicel » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 08:12 »

material expression has a visual editor named Unreal Material Editor,i'm very interesting in how the final material is combined together.
Obtain UDK, open any material and look at the generated shader code (there is an option somewhere in menu)
Sadly,the export files of uModel seems only have the texture files and some .mat files with a briefing of the material, witch way could i get the entire material information.It would not be a problem if the final material expression show up as graphic view or not,even binary is OK,if someone knows how to make it,please help me.
umodel internally used relatively simple material shader which provides heuristic approximation of original shader. MaterialExpression classes are not used.
xicel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 10:53 »

Thanks gildor answer my question.

umodel internally used relatively simple material shader which provides heuristic approximation of original shader. MaterialExpression classes are not used.

Then is it possible to extract this MaterialExpression classes from a .upk file?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 11:03 »

No. Umodel is not reading MaterialExpressions, there are 118 classes in January 2012 UDK! Also, there is no data format exists to export, and no application to reimport it back.
xicel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 11:09 »

thanks gildor.
may be i have to learn this from demo. Tongue
SchoolHomeVR

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 06:42 »

No. Umodel is not reading MaterialExpressions, there are 118 classes in January 2012 UDK! Also, there is no data format exists to export, and no application to reimport it back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to necro a post, I just want to clarify:
I was trying to get meshes from Umodel to find their Textures automatically (when importing using ActorX etc. into 3ds Max...)  and I should look in the Mat's accompanying TXT files, (which do indeed list the texture placement and name!)  and place the textures manually?  It is of course a bit harder to have any additional step with thousands of objects (one of my 3 projects, is recovering as many assets as possible from a game made by friends, after most of the original assets were lost  in a fire,..) but it is so great to be able to access so much that was thought lost.
     They will be over the moon, I will be sure to suggest your Paypal etc. to them when I reveal the results! ;~) 

OH if only recovering MAPS were possible! The elaborate worlds they had made over many months,.  I always think Blueprints are relatively easy to reproduce, you know it's just logic, ... this, does that, does this,.. but Maps, maps are the real ART,..  The time and detail,..

Gildor,  I am pulling everything into 3dsmax first, (optimizing what was put together very fast the first time,. Etc...)  is there some best material to use as an 3ds max > Unreal  'intermediary', (that will use the Specular Noise and Normal files coming out of Umodel Etc.) and will import into Unreal with no problem?

What you are doing is amazing,. The updates are surprisingly often. 

Very cool.   THANK YOU!!!

OH!  I read your about me page.  WOW!... 

I wonder how many people accept your help, and never know the multi-faceted and impressive individual they are ..  addressing..  Wink 

UPDATE:  Got it!  I was moving Mat files and Tga files to the same folder, thought I had tried everything,. It never occurred to me to point it to a 'empty' folder of other folders! Smiley  BUT:  it liked just being sent to the folder that contains both the Textures (meshes) and Materials Folder (and 'Look in Subfolders' checked!)  THANK YOU!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 08:03 by SchoolHomeVR » Logged
Dire_Venom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 06:22 »

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to necro a post, I just want to clarify:
I was trying to get meshes from Umodel to find their Textures automatically (when importing using ActorX etc. into 3ds Max...)  and I should look in the Mat's accompanying TXT files, (which do indeed list the texture placement and name!)  and place the textures manually?  It is of course a bit harder to have any additional step with thousands of objects (one of my 3 projects, is recovering as many assets as possible from a game made by friends, after most of the original assets were lost  in a fire,..) but it is so great to be able to access so much that was thought lost.
     They will be over the moon, I will be sure to suggest your Paypal etc. to them when I reveal the results! ;~) 

OH if only recovering MAPS were possible! The elaborate worlds they had made over many months,.  I always think Blueprints are relatively easy to reproduce, you know it's just logic, ... this, does that, does this,.. but Maps, maps are the real ART,..  The time and detail,..

Gildor,  I am pulling everything into 3dsmax first, (optimizing what was put together very fast the first time,. Etc...)  is there some best material to use as an 3ds max > Unreal  'intermediary', (that will use the Specular Noise and Normal files coming out of Umodel Etc.) and will import into Unreal with no problem?

What you are doing is amazing,. The updates are surprisingly often. 

Very cool.   THANK YOU!!!

OH!  I read your about me page.  WOW!... 

I wonder how many people accept your help, and never know the multi-faceted and impressive individual they are ..  addressing..  Wink 

UPDATE:  Got it!  I was moving Mat files and Tga files to the same folder, thought I had tried everything,. It never occurred to me to point it to a 'empty' folder of other folders! Smiley  BUT:  it liked just being sent to the folder that contains both the Textures (meshes) and Materials Folder (and 'Look in Subfolders' checked!)  THANK YOU!

Thank you for your post!
Sorry to Necro (again), but I'm trying to achieve a very similar outcome.
Any chance you could provide some additional clarification on how you got it working?
I havn't been able to combine the exported textures and materials correctly, I have it set to look the top export folder and to look in subfolders.
Exported Textures

Exported Materials
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: