March 28, 2024, 11:58
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Small issues in latest versions of UE viewer  (Read 4996 times)
zardalu
Gold Sponsor

View Profile WWW
« on: March 12, 2012, 00:47 »

Hi thanks for supporting ME3!! I noticed what I think might be a couple of new bugs: for the last 2 versions of UE viewer sometimes when I export a skeletalmesh, it exports some skeletal models with the .pskx extension and gives an error when I import it into Max. If I rename it to .psk, I can see the skeleton, but no skin mesh. This happened with some meshes from Transformers, Dark of the Moon, as well as Mass Effect 3.

I tried an older version of UE viewer on the Transformer DOTM packages and did not have the same issue.

Here is a link to some affected packages from ME3:

http://www.mediafire.com/?1cz1bv1lnvw21b9

Here are some exported files, notice RPR_SCR_NKDa_MDL.pskx should be RPR_SCR_NKDa_MDL.psk:

http://www.mediafire.com/?261sd895009sr28

Also, I noticed that for the newest version of UE viewer, the -uncook option does not seem to work. It just opens umodel instead of uncooking.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help, and thanks again for all your great work!

Edit: I notice that the export issue seems to happen with the large skeletal meshes, only, like the reaper boss, etc.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:10 by zardalu » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 08:28 »

Hi thanks for supporting ME3!!
Hi, you're welcome!
... for the last 2 versions of UE viewer sometimes when I export a skeletalmesh, it exports some skeletal models with the .pskx extension and gives an error when I import it into Max. If I rename it to .psk, I can see the skeleton, but no skin mesh. This happened with some meshes from Transformers, Dark of the Moon, as well as Mass Effect 3.
technically there is no difference between psk and pskx extension - if you will rename psk to pskx and vice versa "importer" should work identically
Also, I noticed that for the newest version of UE viewer, the -uncook option does not seem to work. It just opens umodel instead of uncooking.
-uncook is a helper for -export, but this option will not force umodel to start exporting. You should add -export option too.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 08:43 »

sometimes when I export a skeletalmesh, it exports some skeletal models with the .pskx extension and gives an error when I import it into Max.
What error you've got with these files in 3ds Max? Did you updated ActorX Importer script? (it should be 1.24 in order to load recent PSK/PSKX versions)
Here are some exported files, notice RPR_SCR_NKDa_MDL.pskx should be RPR_SCR_NKDa_MDL.psk:
mesh SFXPawn_Ravager.RPR_SCR_NKDa_MDL has 24232, what means 72696 indices - such mesh cannot be exported as PSK (too much triangles), that's why it is saved in PSKX format.
zardalu
Gold Sponsor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 08:57 »

-uncook is a helper for -export, but this option will not force umodel to start exporting. You should add -export option too.
Oops, sorry for the Newb question  Embarrassed
What error you've got with these files in 3ds Max? Did you updated ActorX Importer script? (it should be 1.24 in order to load recent PSK/PSKX versions)
I will have to check for the error, I'm not able to run max until I get home.
mesh SFXPawn_Ravager.RPR_SCR_NKDa_MDL has 24232, what means 72696 indices - such mesh cannot be exported as PSK (too much triangles), that's why it is saved in PSKX format.
I see. Interesting. But I get the same 'error' when exporting from L7_Shock_Base_m package from Transformers DOTM with new UE Viewer, but when I export from old UE viewer it works with no errors, and can import to max:

Exported from New UE Viewer (viewed in Deep Exploration):

Exported from old Old umodel (viewed in Deep exploration):

Here is the package for reference:
http://www.mediafire.com/?p44qbrk8wq9v4wr
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 09:12 »

It looks like you've opened PSKX file with "Deep Exploration" software. I'm pretty sure this tool has no PSKX support, that's why it show you "0 mesh faces".
By the way, I'll check the possibility to save meshes in PSK format instead of PSKX.
zardalu
Gold Sponsor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 09:22 »

I'm really sorry to waste your time, it's my fault,  I updated the max import script to 1.24 and now it works fine. Nomally, I always rename the .pskx files to .psk and can view all of them with the old version of Deep Exploration, so this time when it said 0 faces I thought there was an error. Not being able to see the meshes with Deep Exploration is not a problem at all, because it works fine in Max. Thanks again  Grin
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 09:31 »

I've changed psk exporter code so umodel will use pskx format more rarely - the condition of "more that 64k indices" were wrong, it have to be "more than 64k vertices". If there would be troubles I'll review this condition again.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: