March 29, 2024, 00:56
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Problems with Unreal Package Extractor/Game of Thrones  (Read 12156 times)
bashmuttons
« on: November 05, 2012, 00:04 »

Hi,

This question pertains more to Unreal Package Extractor than UModel, but if it's possible to solve this problem in UModel instead, then maybe it would be relevant.

I'm trying to open some level environments from Game of Thrones, which uses .umap files, with a few occasional .upk files as well. I was able to load some of the .upk files in UModel, but all it could load was a few cubes with textures on them, and no actual models. (fake edit: I realized this is because I didn't say -models in the command line, but I'm trying to get to the models in the .umap files anyway so the .upk files aren't really of much use)

I was also able to load a .umap file into UDK Editor, but it had tons of broken references and only showed the level as a few very basic brush models with no textures and a lot of missing objects.

The closest I've gotten to success is dragging one of the .umap files onto the Unreal Package Extractor, which unloaded the .umap into a bunch of file directories that actually made sense (they had names that corresponded to actual objects, for example). The only problem is that I can't import or convert any of the extracted objects.

For example, each object directory has three subdirectories: "Material", "Meshes", and "Textures", along with three corresponding files called "Material.package", "Meshes.package", and "Textures.package".

None of these package files could be loaded by anything either (at least as far as I could tell - I tried changing some file extensions but no luck). Inside each of those three subdirectories are several other files. The most interesting one has a .staticMesh extension, which was in the "Meshes" folder. The textures folder had two files called diff.texture2D and NRM.texture2D, which obviously seem to correspond to diffuse and normal textures. This all seems promising, but I have no way of opening or converting files with either a .staticMesh or .texture2D extension.

Are these extensions used by any Unreal-related application? Any help would be so appreciated!
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 11:36 »

Files produces by extractor are not usable anywhere. You should use umodel. Your problem sounds like "I can't find content in hundreds of files". Hint: try checking largest files first.
bashmuttons
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 14:42 »

Wow thanks for the quick reply. That explains a lot with the Extractor. Can Umodel open .umaps straight up? Or just .upk? I wasn't able to do it so far but I could easily be doing something wrong with my commands.
bashmuttons
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 15:36 »

Okay, a follow-up: I've been trying Umodel with the GUI frontend, with a lot of success on all the .umaps. This is pretty neat! One really annoying problem, though - it's worked for every .umap I drop into it...except the ONE that I'm trying to extract. It runs a little loading cycle and then just quits. I have no idea why, it doesn't seem to be an odd format (specifically, it's an environment pack, and all the other environment packs seemed to load fine), and it extracted with no problems, but I can't load any models. Maybe I could upload the file for somebody else to try?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 16:44 »

Most likely that .umap has neither textures nor models inside, so umodel displays message "there's no object to display" and exits.
bashmuttons
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 23:09 »

Hey, so I tried switching back to UmodelGUI rather than Umodel Helper and it doesn't seem to give up midway through scanning the .umap. It definitely looks like it has models and textures in it, but I have no idea how to export them in one piece using the UmodelGUI. Right-clicking on them and picking "export" doesn't seem to do anything...hmm. I feel like I'm really close but I'm dumb and missing something obvious. Any help? I attached a screencap just in case.

[вложение удалено Администратором]
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 10:39 »

You should extract "SkeletalMesh", "StaticMesh" and "Texture2D" objects only. "Model" is brush component for Unreal levels, it's not a mesh, and it's not supported.
bashmuttons
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 16:36 »

Scrolling through the list, I see StaticMeshActors and StaticMeshComponents but no SkeletalMesh (which might be because its a pack with no characters in it) or Texture2Ds. Clicking export on either of the StaticMesh things doesn't seem to do anything, though.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 16:40 »

What's in the log when you're trying to export StaticMesh?
bashmuttons
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 17:04 »

Thanks so much for your patience! Here's the output:

First I tried StaticMeshActor_101 with the PSKX/PSAX option ticked:
Found 45 game files (151 skipped)
COMMAND LINE ERROR: unknown option: -pskx
Use "umodel" without arguments to show command line help

Same component with "All" checked under Export:
Loading package: RK_env_ThroneRoom.umap Ver: 832/0 Engine: 8623 Names: 266 Exports: 3587 Imports: 89 Game: 8000
Export "StaticMeshActor_101" was found in package RK_env_ThroneRoom
WARNING: Unknown class "StaticMeshActor" for object "StaticMeshActor_101"
Found 1 object(s)
Specified package(s) has no supported objects

Here's a similar result on StaticMeshComponent_96 (I just picked a random one, there's a lot of them) with "All" checked:
Loading package: RK_env_ThroneRoom.umap Ver: 832/0 Engine: 8623 Names: 266 Exports: 3587 Imports: 89 Game: 8000
Export "StaticMeshComponent_91" was found in package RK_env_ThroneRoom
WARNING: Unknown class "StaticMeshComponent" for object "StaticMeshComponent_91"
Export "StaticMeshComponent_91" was found in package RK_env_ThroneRoom
WARNING: Unknown class "StaticMeshComponent" for object "StaticMeshComponent_91"
Found 2 object(s)
Specified package(s) has no supported objects

Exporting the StaticMeshComponents results in the same command line error. Hmm....
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 17:11 »

COMMAND LINE ERROR: unknown option: -pskx
-pskx option were removed at the beginning of 2012
WARNING: Unknown class "StaticMeshActor" for object "StaticMeshActor_101"
StaticMeshComponent is not StaticMesh
bashmuttons
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 17:31 »

WOW. I found the problem! All your advice was really great, and I was mostly confused: why didn't the package have StaticMeshes? Then I checked the file size (it's an env package, so it should be fairly large compared to the character packs. And guess what? It got corrupted somehow! Just reloaded the package from my game disc and BAM it works. Thanks so much for your help!!
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: