April 16, 2024, 08:26
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: How can i use models extracted from UDK game to make a machinima?  (Read 6971 times)
RogueCreature

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2013, 23:25 »

Hi there, I have recently started looking into how to make machinimas and can across ActorX which has the ability to rip models from current games which i wish to use in order to make the machinimas which i plan.

I currently have three questions:

1. How can I edit / create animations within 3ds max using imported models from a game such as borderlands?

2. Is it possible to key frame animate the models extracted from a game within 3ds max using the bones that are provided from the UDK game?

3. Is it possible to animate within UDK, for example moving limbs and key framing each movement?

I eagerly await your reply.

Kind Regards
Nick
xbeton0L
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 22:20 »

Well you're sure asking for a lot of fun! ^^

First thing you should know is that it takes a good amount of practice in animation and modeling software to know how everything works, what tools to use, how to convert, etc. ActorX is one of those tools you're going to need.

Next up is understanding how animation works. When importing from ActorX, you'll most likely end up with a mesh and skeleton. You need to determine what kind of rig you want to use to animate the skeleton. If you're using 3ds Max you can set up IK chains which will 'drive' the skeleton the way you want it. Other programs like Maya and Blender also have great animation tools. There are various tutorials that can help you set up your first rig.

Here's a couple to get you started. Skinning & Rigging

These should help you get an idea of how rigging works. Also if you're interested, you should definitely read The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams if you want to learn some universal animation techniques.

It will not be an easy thing to learn, but there's tons of support for avid learners wanting to animate their own short cg films, or machinimas, or whatever floats your fancy.

Also, I'll have to say no to your other questions about UDK. All animations and models must be pre-made and imported into UDK following a certain syntax. I don't know enough to help you get your models into Unreal. But before you start making leaps and bounds, you'll need to get a good grasp of exactly what it is you're getting into. And it's pretty fun once you get the hang of things!
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: