March 29, 2024, 12:22
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Help finding UE4 umap binary parsing code  (Read 6396 times)
orkwad

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2014, 14:11 »

I'm new to C++ but I can read it albeit slowly. I'm trying to trace the logic back to the code segments that read the binary and translates it into a human readable format. It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack, though. Could you point me at the relevant bits?

The goal is to build a command line application that can edit UE4 umap binaries and add references to static mesh objects with transformation/rotation/scale data, so that I can populate a level without opening the editor.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 18:07 »

Look at ULevel::Serialize (if you have Unreal engine source code). By the way, if you're "new to C++" I think that would be a bit complicated for you.
orkwad

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 00:33 »

Thanks for the tip. After looking at that I realized something basic about how data is stored in the files. You're using the same methods and names that UE4 uses to address the data. That means either part of your code is a library containing all the unreal methods, or the umap file itself contains code that's designed to respond to them. I'm guessing it's the latter.

I've got a lot to think about now. Thank you.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: