March 28, 2024, 15:36
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Importing animations without SkeletalMesh skeleton  (Read 4321 times)
uomoartificiale
Sponsor

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2009, 17:04 »

Is there a way to import in any modeler (ie. 3dsmax or milkshape) the animation data WITHOUT having imported the skeletalMesh structure before? I refer to games which have support in umodel for animation but nor for SkeletalMesh such as 50cents or Hessian.
I tried to get psa animations into milkshape but I got a crazy bunch of bones floating around. Neither the ActorX importer nor the MD5importer seem to do the job in max. Any suggestion about this? Is this something that could be solved updating umodel or the import plugins?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 17:14 »

You may use options "Load skeleton only" in Actor X Importer for 3ds Max when loading PSK.
PSA animation does not contains skeleton information - only animation data relative to parent bone. But information about bone's parent is stored in PSK.

Note. Theme moved from "Other games", because this is not a game-specific issue.
uomoartificiale
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 17:59 »

that's what I suspected, but the lack of psk SkeletalMesh is exactly the issue I am concerned with. Still in this other post http://www.gildor.org/smf/index.php/topic,87.0.html I read (without understanding it completely) that md5anim could contain hierarchy information. Isn't then possible to extract the base frame as skeleton hierarchy? I suppose that even if the resulting skeleton wouldn't be in the reference pose, the subsequent animation import could animate it correctly. Do you think is a viable solution?

Sorry about the wrong forum section...
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 18:08 »

There is no solution. Missing bone hierarchy information (it is present for UE2 meshes only, and missing for UE3).
uomoartificiale
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 18:58 »

thanks Gildor for taking the time to answer. It's a pity to have all those data being unable to use them,though! Keep up the good work as always!  Wink
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: