April 18, 2024, 05:26
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Texture Quality Issue  (Read 5849 times)
ixitimmyixi

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2015, 20:11 »

I'm having an issue with my texture2D's being stripped from 2048x2048 to 64x64. I realize that 2048x2048 is just the original dimensions and the stripped dimensions is the size the developers made the image after it was cooked, but this image quality is definitely not what I'm seeing in game. Even after I've compiled the textures into a usable material in UDK the lack of detail is horrendous. Also I noticed that the .upk is looking for an automated.tfc file, but i'm assuming that "automated" is actually referring to some sort of process the developers are using to use the provided .tfc files , that's just a thought though. If you have ANY insight I would be forever grateful. I've tried exporting with no tga compression and as .dds files. With no luck. The same developers of this game have made previous games that I've been able to work with successfully, and this game is structured exactly the same and even uses some of the .upk files from previous games. But even they are being stripped. I'm wondering if maybe they are applying or correcting the textures server side or something. Anyway, I'm confident that with your help we can figure this out. Thanks for everything you do!

Here's what I'm working with http://i.imgur.com/PGiuRVZ.jpg
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 20:14 »

Look at log window (black one on the left side of your screenshot). There are a lot of "TFC file ... is missing" messages. UModel can't find these files, so it displays low-resolution textures.
Read the FAQ!
ixitimmyixi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 20:41 »

yes, I realize that, but all the games .tfc files are present. That's what I'm trying to say. It's looking for an Automated.tfc file that is no where to be found in the game folders. I'm wondering if "automated" is some sort of process for looking at multiple .tfc files, and that's how the game compiles them correctly. I thought you would have some insight, and of course I've read the FAQ. I would never post in the forum and ask for help if I had not already searched for hours and experimented to find a solution myself. Sorry to bother you.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 20:49 »

What game are you looking at?
To avoid any problems (which are avoidable) - point UModel's game path to "Cooked" directory in game installation. Don't copy anything to other locations, just point at installation.

For just a few games in my memory (an example - Singularity) there was an issue with TFC files when texture object points to one TFC file, but this file doesn't exist and different files are in game directory. In such cases I can't do anything because such games has modified TFC system, but my code works only with original system (which most games has). Sometimes problems could be avoided by downloading a different version of the game, like - PC game has a problem, but PS3 - not.
ixitimmyixi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 00:20 »

Ooo, that's a very good idea about trying to download a different version. The game is Paladins by HiRez. I've been using your program for years with their other game Smite and it has done very well. But it seems like they are doing something a little different with this one. You can download the game at www.Paladins.com for free. If you had some time, I would love if you could take a look at it for me. Thanks for all your help. I'll keep trying!
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 00:28 »

So, if I understand you well, only part of this game's files are not supported?
Regarding "if you had some time ..." - here are my plans: https://trello.com/b/lp1XjYaz/ue-viewer. As you can see, I have plans for 10 years ahead Smiley Not sure if my software will survive that period of time.
ixitimmyixi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 08:14 »

Wow, you are truly amazing. Thank you so much for doing this for us all. I'll support you as much as I can as often as possible. Yes, you're right, all of the files work and export properly, except for the texture2d files. I'm not sure what I can do, the textures are there but they are stripped for some reason. I'm sure it's an issue with the .tfc files. Thanks for all your help I'll try to see what I can figure out. If you have any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again, soo much!
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: