March 29, 2024, 11:48
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Where are GOW2 helmets and shoulder pads?  (Read 2748 times)
zardalu
Gold Sponsor

View Profile WWW
« on: December 09, 2009, 04:37 »

As header, are GOW2 (and GOW) helmets and shoulder pads static meshes? if not, where are they kept?
NullReferenceException
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 10:24 »

I couldn't find them either, I think they are static meshs.

I think the Carmine model is actually the Kim model with a static mesh helmet on ( Which would explain why you find Kims model in the single player UPKs in GOW2, and why their armor is identical). Also, the model of Carmines corpse in the GOW2 campaign ( after he is wounded by those bug things in the worm level) is the Kim model. Which i think is funny because that means they are rendering about 5,000 polys of Kims face/head under each helmet that cant be seen.

If you really need the helmet you can find a low poly version of it on a model called COG_crowd which you can find in the assault campaign I believe, or you can use 3D Ripper DX and Rip it out of GOW1 PC version.
esr911
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 18:13 »

I couldn't find them either, I think they are static meshs.

I think the Carmine model is actually the Kim model with a static mesh helmet on ( Which would explain why you find Kims model in the single player UPKs in GOW2, and why their armor is identical). Also, the model of Carmines corpse in the GOW2 campaign ( after he is wounded by those bug things in the worm level) is the Kim model. Which i think is funny because that means they are rendering about 5,000 polys of Kims face/head under each helmet that cant be seen.

If you really need the helmet you can find a low poly version of it on a model called COG_crowd which you can find in the assault campaign I believe, or you can use 3D Ripper DX and Rip it out of GOW1 PC version.

the engine won't render any poly that is unseen, so no luck having the engine render those extra polies, it's called culling and most basic engines have this functionality. If you play with the UDK and follow the videos for it on the UDN site, it will show you that everything that isn't visible to the player is not rendered.

..:: ESR911 ::..
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 18:52 »

Usually culling operates with full meshes. Also engine may switch LOD levels - you may grab low-detail mesh.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: