March 29, 2024, 17:53
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: UE Viewer opens wrong file  (Read 1640 times)
dedmen

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2016, 23:54 »

Sooo.. onto the next problem. But im very sure this one is real!

I have following directory structure
SWAT4\Content\Textures\Cars.utx
SWAT4\SSFMod\Content\Textures\Cars.utx

When i select the first Cars.utx file and want to export or open it. It opens the SSFMod file instead.

Workaround is ofcause to just open only the Texture folder in UModel.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 23:57 by dedmen » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 01:08 »

I think UModel opens pre-UE4 files just by file name, ignoring file path. Not sure if the situation with your directory layout is valid for UE2 or UE3. As far as I know, UE1-UE3 ignores file path too, and opens file just by its name. Perhaps here "mod" overrides original file with different content.

So, I think this is not a bug Smiley
dedmen

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 04:18 »

So if there are two files with the same name it cant be determined which file it opens? If the files were sorted by path and it would choose the first one it should have choosen the right one. Except it chooses at random (i tried 3 times and it always used the Mod one) or it uses the last file it finds.. which would be very weird.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 16:09 »

Currently it uses this "logic". Just because this is a first time for almost 10 years of UModel's life when 2 packages with identical names appears inside a single game. May be later I'll check if I could improve this behavior, but for now there are many places in UModel which assumes that package name is unique, so it is not easy to fix it.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 16:35 »

However, I wasn't able to reproduce your issue. I've renamed 2 UT2004 packages with use of the same name, placed into 2 different directories. I was able to open any of them - and got opened exactly the file which was expected. And even both of them could be loaded. No problem for me, despite it wasn't expected (for me) to work.

Update: I was able to reproduce your issue. It is very tricky: package names including paths are EXACTLY THE SAME, if we'll strip everything above "Content". "Content" or "Cooked" directory name is special for UModel, it uses this as a root for files. So, actually you shouldn't specify a directory above "Content" as a root folder - it will work, but in your case - you're getting such a tricky bug. Actually this is not a bug, I think. It is too tricky to reproduce, and I believe Unreal engine will not distinguish these 2 packages either.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: