March 28, 2024, 15:22
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Bug with FBX Batch Exporter  (Read 2643 times)
IskatuMesk

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2017, 10:51 »

Hi Gildor! I've been using your tools for many years, and they have been ceaselessly useful in my endeavors.

Yesterday I updated to your newer version of the ActorXImporter as well as the FBX batch exporter and proceeded to do some batch exports of animations from Tera.

I immediately ran into a bug that I believe came as a result of the latest version of that batch exporter. The bug happens regardless of any settings I changed. Basically, when I batch export animations, each proceeding file to come out of the export becomes larger and larger and larger and contains broken information when imported into Unreal 4. As far as I understand, the exporter is somehow retaining some data between each individual FBX export of the animation file's contents. So, if I for example export a set of 50 animations or so from a PSA file, I'll eventually end up with individual FBX files exceeding 20-60 megabytes a piece when they normally should be 500kb. I tried this on a variety of animations, and I also tried the multi-take single FBX export, which didn't produce a file we could make use of in Unreal 4 either. The bug happens in both max 2011 and max 2016.

Using your Github to revert to the July 2015 version of the FBX exporter only fixes this problem.

I searched your forum (even google translated the Russian forum) and googled around but could find no mention of this bug anywhere, so I don't know if it's some kind of compatibility issue or whatnot. In either case, I figured I'd let you know.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 11:05 »

Hi.
I think you're mentioning version prior to "multi-take animaiton support". This is a change from third-party source, so I can't say anything particular about this. Probably you're using exporter/converter in some unexpected way.
There should be an option which enables/disabled multi-take animation. Try changing it.
IskatuMesk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 11:22 »

Well, to be more specific, the version that I had issues with is the current most recent version. This is the version that introduced that feature, I believe. I thought I may have been doing something wrong, but none of the settings were producing expected results. The Multi-take animation, e.g. the Single FBX for many animations was still producing a file with incorrect timings inside Unreal 4, where as the Individual FBX files with that option disabled were producing progressively larger and larger files per animation from the source psa and all of those were filled with duplicate animations with incorrect timings and frame counts inside Unreal 4.

I'm not going to rule out user error on this, but I never had these kind of issues prior to that version so I'm not entirely sure if there's extra steps I needed to take to get exports to behave like they did in prior versions.

The one that I reverted to that has no issues is from July 2015 on your Github. It does not feature Multi-take at all, and produces individual FBX files without any size increase or other problems.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 11:22 »

Could you record a video showing all issues you have? I've played with multi-take conversion and didn't find any problem.
IskatuMesk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 19:19 »

I sure can.

I went through as much detail as I could while keeping the process as simple as possible so you can see precisely what happens. My commentary should explain the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv5rWLwjOOo
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 22:24 »

Thank you for very detailed report. I've reproduced the problem, and seems fixed that. Also I've fixed lengths of animations - for non-multitake export it was 1 frame longer than needed. Multi-take export had correct animation length, but 1-frame animations weren't exported (UE4 rejected that). So I'm forcing now a single-frame animation to have 2 frames - 2nd frame could contain pose from another animation, but I think it is better than entirely lost animation.

Please try new batch export script (1.05) and let me know if it works well for you.
dandezign

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 03:28 »

I have the same problem but I found a workaround by forcing translation to Animset and exporting as a multi-take opening the multi-take on motion builder and saving as separate animations, you can also increase the fps to 60 for a smoother anim in motion builder and I'm working with the animations of the game "Blade: Sword of Elysion" for android. sorry for my bad english I'm hispnic Smiley
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: