March 28, 2024, 19:34
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Outlast 2  (Read 4813 times)
venkman
Sponsor

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2017, 13:21 »

Looks like it's working off a version of Unreal 3 like the original, but I can't get it to load up models. If I try to explore a package, this is the error message that pops up...

FCompressedChunkHeader<<:pos=4CD48 <- FUE3ArchiveReader::PrepareBuffer <- FUE3ArchiveReader::Serialize <- FArchive::ByteOrderSerialize <- FString<< <- Name:0 <- UnPackage::LoadNameTable <- UnPackage::UnPackage:OLGame/CookedPCConsole/Crash-01_Art.upk, ver=882/66, game=ue3 <- UnPackage::LoadPackage:OLGame/CookedPCConsole/Crash-01_Art.upk <- CUmodelApp::ShowPackageUI <- Main:umodel_version=584

Any suggestions? I can gather up whatever data needed to help!
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 13:24 »

You didn't post a error message here, just call stack. Did you see a "Copy" button in error window?
venkman
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 13:45 »

Oops! Trying again! Sorry man!
venkman
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 13:46 »

assertion failed: H.Tag == PACKAGE_FILE_TAG

FCompressedChunkHeader<<:pos=4CD48 <- FUE3ArchiveReader::PrepareBuffer <- FUE3ArchiveReader::Serialize <- FArchive::ByteOrderSerialize <- FString<< <- Name:0 <- UnPackage::LoadNameTable <- UnPackage::UnPackage:OLGame/CookedPCConsole/Crash-01_Art.upk, ver=882/66, game=ue3 <- UnPackage::LoadPackage:OLGame/CookedPCConsole/Crash-01_Art.upk <- CUmodelApp::ShowPackageUI <- Main:umodel_version=584
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 16:21 »

Could you send me a sample file, please? The game is absolutely not interesting to me, but if it could be supported with "2 lines of code" - why not?
venkman
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 16:58 »

Sure thing, man: https://mega.nz/#!WFBzVJQL!xmkYCPorIEVOIC9EKMUTwNpKdJm6xcmS6wSpsilXghY

It's the StartUp.upk
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 23:29 »

Well, I've checked the file. It has difference in basic package structures - file offsets are stored as 64-bit integers instead of 32-bit, like in original engine. I believe they don't have any upk file which is larger than 4Gb, so this modification looks rather strange than useful. Before now, only one UE3 game had similar changes: MK X.

I think it is not worth spending any additional time on this game. There won't be "2 lines of code" changes. Previous "Outlast" game was supported only because it used unmodified engine data formats.
venkman
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 06:39 »

Damn, that sucks... Thanks anyway!
fil1969
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 14:30 »

Well, I've checked the file. It has difference in basic package structures - file offsets are stored as 64-bit integers instead of 32-bit, like in original engine. I believe they don't have any upk file which is larger than 4Gb, so this modification looks rather strange than useful. Before now, only one UE3 game had similar changes: MK X.

I think it is not worth spending any additional time on this game. There won't be "2 lines of code" changes. Previous "Outlast" game was supported only because it used unmodified engine data formats.

One of the last best games....   Cry Cry Cry
MerlinSVK

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 23:22 »

What compression did they use? LZO1X?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 07:47 »

Are you kidding? This trash is "one of the best games"??

Usual UE3 compression. Why are you asking that?

Actually, I've adopted UModel to read packages from this game, but it crashed on the first texture. So I've removed any adaptation and stopped further research.
MerlinSVK

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 12:07 »

I'm just thinking if there is a way how to replace fonts.
nnvt

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 14:56 »

Are you kidding? This trash is "one of the best games"??

Usual UE3 compression. Why are you asking that?

Actually, I've adopted UModel to read packages from this game, but it crashed on the first texture. So I've removed any adaptation and stopped further research.

Is there a chance that the modifications you made to UModel will work with the UPK Decompressor? Or do the files not even decompress properly? I'm trying to mod outlast 2 like I did with the original outlast but I cannot access the code without being able to decompress the files.
Purrspctiv

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 09:08 »

Now, I know that there is already another Outlast 2 thread, but I didn't think that it would be seen if I posted in an old thread. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I don't know what the right place would actually be.

Outlast 2's upk files are encrypted and so are the textures. Gildor has already previously added support for it, but the textures would not load. However, instead of implementing support for package reading while just ignoring the textures, he abandoned support and removed it from the program:
"Actually, I've adopted UModel to read packages from this game, but it crashed on the first texture. So I've removed any adaptation and stopped further research."

I would like to request that he simply add back in support for Outlast 2's packages (with material data, static meshes, animations, and skeletal meshes), but just not support the textures. This has been done in the past, with games like Absolute Force Online.
This should be relatively simple to do. I have been trying to datamine this game for over a year now (there's a lot of genuinely interesting shit), and this single feature could save an unbelievable amount of time.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 09:44 »

I'm rarely doing special support for horror games. And rarely working on non-UE4 games over last years. So, here's "Rarely ^ 2".
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: