March 29, 2024, 06:06
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Static Mesh textures  (Read 4703 times)
neenerpants

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2010, 04:39 »

Hi,

So I've been using Umodel with other games and making good progress. I've also managed to export Mass Effect characters with working textures, so I know it's possible!

Unfortunately, I can't seem to export any Mass Effect static mesh textures. The models work okay, but there are hardly any textures exported at all, and those that do tend to be 64x64 cinematic pictures instead of actual texture maps. I haven't been able to find any textures to match up with static meshes, which makes things difficult.

Has anybody had better luck with ME static mesh textures? Perhaps there's a specific package somewhere I haven't found yet?
esr911
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 05:57 »

Hi,

So I've been using Umodel with other games and making good progress. I've also managed to export Mass Effect characters with working textures, so I know it's possible!

Unfortunately, I can't seem to export any Mass Effect static mesh textures. The models work okay, but there are hardly any textures exported at all, and those that do tend to be 64x64 cinematic pictures instead of actual texture maps. I haven't been able to find any textures to match up with static meshes, which makes things difficult.

Has anybody had better luck with ME static mesh textures? Perhaps there's a specific package somewhere I haven't found yet?

You haven't copied over the textures.tfc to the same folder as your files, then extract.. Do that and it will work.

Make sure you do this for the DLC's as well.
..:: ESR911 ::..
neenerpants

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 22:42 »

Ah, awesome, that  seems to have worked a lot better. Thanks! Smiley

One more question, in most case the textures and staticmeshes seem to have totally different names. I'm having a hell of a time matching them up. Is there something I'm missing or did Bioware just use somewhat obscure naming conventions? I hoped the .mat files might help but I can't seem to open them in Max
esr911
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 00:55 »

Ah, awesome, that  seems to have worked a lot better. Thanks! Smiley

One more question, in most case the textures and staticmeshes seem to have totally different names. I'm having a hell of a time matching them up. Is there something I'm missing or did Bioware just use somewhat obscure naming conventions? I hoped the .mat files might help but I can't seem to open them in Max

Yeah, you have to map the textures by hand if the .mat file doesn't find the texture..
neenerpants

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 01:47 »

well I can open up the .mat files in notepad to see the listed textures, so it's not impossible.

any idea what to do with the meshes which don't have a similarly named mat or texture though? there are quite a lot of folders like that, with only models in them.
esr911
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 09:24 »

well I can open up the .mat files in notepad to see the listed textures, so it's not impossible.

any idea what to do with the meshes which don't have a similarly named mat or texture though? there are quite a lot of folders like that, with only models in them.

Yeah, Use DeepExploration, or play that game, and get a sense of what the map is supposed to be, and then try to find it, for everyone of the meshes.. Yeah it's a whole a lot of work, you also need to create the collision mesh too.

..:: ESR911 ::..
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: