March 29, 2024, 03:55
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: [PS4] Batman: Return to Arkham  (Read 2655 times)
Wastelander121

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 04:04 »

Return to Arkham City seems to actually have both UE3 and UE4 files in its archives. For some reason the entire game seems to exist for both UE3 and UE4 on the disc. It either means they left over the original files from after they ported it, which would be weird because there are files which weren't in any version of the game before it (like Playable_Joker) or it somehow uses both files from both engines simultaneously somehow. The only way to know for sure is to edit a text file or something in the UE3 side of the game and see if that makes any impact on the game.

At this point though, I'd call it incompetent development because without the defunct UE3 files cluttering the disc, they could have fit the entire collection onto one disc instead of two. It doesn't make sense why they didn't do that if the game doesn't use both sets of files in some capacity.
Wastelander121

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2019, 15:07 »

Sorry about the new thread, it wouldn't let me post in the old one for some reason.

Umodel crashes when trying to open up any umaps/uassets https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JWXzIvs9rzN5UONWhhxa6r3ibQhCYqXN/view?usp=sharing both are from the UE4 portion of RTA, not the UE3 files. Though, the UE3 files don't work work either. As to why the game has builds for both on the disc is anyone's guess.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2019, 15:18 »

I see no point of doing any job for a game which already supported for older versions. I mean - all "original" Batman games are supported, so there's no point working on remaster which only has changed lighting.
Wastelander121

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2019, 15:25 »

It's not just changed lighting. New models, entirely different UVs too. There's also some cut content and files that aren't even in the game, like the Playable_Joker files for City.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2019, 15:32 »

Ok, UE4 part is probably feasible to do. But not UE3 one, unless PC version of remaster will appear.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 15:49 by Gildor » Logged
Wastelander121

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2019, 15:37 »

That's fantastic news, thank you. The UE4 chunk is what we need most anyway Smiley
Wastelander121

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2019, 20:35 »

Update: Weirdly, some files in Return to Arkham Asylum (UE4) can be opened. The model for the head, body and cape of Batman as well as the diffuse for the head and body. The cape, eyes and any normal/spec maps can't be extracted though for some reason. I think it gives an error about an unimplemented function. It's also the first time I've seen each model in a game get its own TFC file containing individual textures.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2019, 21:18 »

I think it gives an error about an unimplemented function.
UModel doesn't have a word "unimplemented" inside. Are you working with umodel?
It's also the first time I've seen each model in a game get its own TFC file containing individual textures.
UE4 doesn't use TFC, it's UE3 only.
Wastelander121

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2019, 23:23 »

I'm not sure what to tell you then. Perhaps it's some kind of hybrid engine? There's definitely tfcs in the UE4 portion. Here's the TFCs from Image0\asylumue4\content\paks\project\AsylumUE4\Content\Packages\Characters\Joker\Maps\_TEX_ https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zNV15eXElyhgvcs-t0uUJqTEK84t75YQ/view?usp=sharing (unpacked from the PAK file using QuickBMS)

The unimplemented function error occurs when running umodel from the gui. Certain umaps/uassets can be opened, but most just crash, strangely.

Here's the error if it's of any use to you. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ol3s0HIKF8wr22djUI-F1zlVyW6WnI-F/view?usp=sharing

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 23:25 by Wastelander121 » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2019, 23:28 »

I'm not sure what to tell you then. Perhaps it's some kind of hybrid engine? There's definitely tfcs in the UE4 portion. Here's the TFCs from Image0\asylumue4\content\paks\project\AsylumUE4\Content\Packages\Characters\Joker\Maps\_TEX_ https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zNV15eXElyhgvcs-t0uUJqTEK84t75YQ/view?usp=sharing (unpacked from the PAK file using QuickBMS)
Those doesn't look like "classic" tfc, they looks like uncompressed ubulk files.
The unimplemented function error occurs when running umodel from the gui. Certain umaps/uassets can be opened, but most just crash, strangely.

Here's the error if it's of any use to you. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ol3s0HIKF8wr22djUI-F1zlVyW6WnI-F/view?usp=sharing
Ah, I see. "Not implemented" ... It attempts to seek to negative file position, and system treats this like seeking to a very large position (> 4Gb), what I didn't do as it is not needed there. If I'd implement it, the error would still appear, just a different one (attempt to seek past end of file).
Wastelander121

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2019, 23:57 »

That's weird though, right? I've never seen a UE4 game use tfcs, even if they could just be renamed ubulk files. If you need any more files for Return to Arkham Asylum or City let me know.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2019, 10:29 »

Yes, it's bad. This engine has too much custom things, and it's not for PC (what makes executable file analysis much harder than for PC, if I'd consider it).
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: