April 18, 2024, 16:41
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Requesting the very thing you don't want to do... (console Transformers)  (Read 5291 times)
DrSullivan
« on: October 14, 2010, 02:44 »

First of all, KUDOS to all your hard work on the extractor, decompressor, and umodel programs. Very nifty, very nice!

I'm working on Transformers: War for Cybertron on the PC. I've used the umodel program with great success, thank you for updating it to play nice with TF:WFC files.

The general problem with the game is that the PC version is missing things, particularly support for the things that were pre-order features or things eventually released as DLC on the XBox and PS3. The PC includes rudimentary but either incomplete or dummy versions of meshes and other details of the characters, and none of the extra maps.

There is a strong effort to resolve this, and the progress that has been made happened only because of your hard work in creating the tools we're using.

I'm looking to further this research, and I've hit a wall. You probably know where I'm going with this... the XBox 360 files. But wait! It may not be so bad.

Umodel actually works with the XBox360 files, at least when using -list, as long as you specify -game=trans. If you do just -list, you get hit with this error:
Code:
Found 127 game files (6823 skipped)
******** TR_Megatron_ROBODEF_p.xxx ********
*** ERROR: Serialized FString is not null-terminated
FString<< <- FPackageFileSummary<<:Ver=511/144 <- UnPackage::UnPackage:TR_Megatron_ROBODEF_p.xxx, game=8000 <- UnPackage::LoadPackage:TR_Megatron_ROBODEF_p.xxx <- Main
But, if you also use -game=trans, it works just fine.

Now, while doing further research, I wanted to inspect the individual files within the 360 .xxx files. I thought the extractor would work for this, since it does indeed work with the PC version's files.

However, trying it got me this error:
Code:
******** TR_Megatron_ROBODEF_p.xxx ********
*** ERROR: Serialized FString is not null-terminated
FString<< <- FPackageFileSummary<<:Ver=511/144 <- UnPackage::UnPackage:TR_Megatron_ROBODEF_p.xxx, game=8000 <- Main

...and now I'm stuck.

However...

It occurred to me that perhaps whatever override switch umodel uses, perhaps that can be applied to extractor? I noticed -game=trans seems to set "Game: 8017" and the error on the extractor says "game=8000". There seems to be no way to override that setting.

• A. Is it possible to add a -game=XXXX switch to extractor?
  • B. Would this help anything?
  • C. Is there any other info I can provide to assist you?

Again, thank you so much for your help. Even if you don't want to put the time into something like this, or if it's not even possible or wouldn't help anyways, I still very much appreciate what you've done.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 19:30 by gildor » Logged
DrSullivan
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 18:27 »

To be clear, I haven't gotten -view to work with Transformers XBox 360 files because I don't have the full "installation directory", but -list did work.

I suspect that it would work, since I have the same problem with extractor with the PS3 files but I do have the "installation directory" for PS3, and I was able to get umodel -view to work with those.

Focusing on the XBox 360 for now, though.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 19:04 by DrSullivan » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 18:38 »

What do you want to extract from Transformers? (using extract.exe)
Provide me a few sample files, I'll check this.
DrSullivan
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 19:26 »

Is "everything possible" a poor answer? Simply put, I want to compare exactly what each version includes, including whether any of them are dummy files.

The maps are kind of large, so I'll upload characters for comparison for now.

PC Character: http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1287069710
XBox360 Character: http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=580133
PS3 Character: http://www.divshare.com/download/12836672-c72

I uploaded to different sites so you can download concurrently.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 19:28 »

There was a bug in umodel's UE3 SkeletalMesh loading code. Meshes with multiple UV sets were not loaded. Transformers XBox360 version has used 2 UV sets, and this in combination with a bug has lead umodel to crash.
Fixed.
Also I have updated game detection code so umodel now knows about PS3 and XBox360 Transformers versions. No more "-game=trans" required.
Extractor has been updated too.
NexusElite
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 11:25 »

Ya this i wonder why the PC transformer couldn't view the DLC characters files like Shockwave, only his textures showed up.

So to be clear you fixed the xxx files to show those DLC but only on the 360 one?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 11:26 by NexusElite » Logged

Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 12:14 »

This fix is not platform or game relative. It's common.
Kouri
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 04:08 »

Ya this i wonder why the PC transformer couldn't view the DLC characters files like Shockwave, only his textures showed up.

Compare file sizes with other character files. Shockwave and the other DLC characters aren't cooked into the PC version. That's all there is to it. They've got dummy files to prevent the game from crashing, but all DLCs other than Zeta are missing mesh information.
NexusElite
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 15:26 »

Heh interesting. Though, does the one from 360 or ps3 show up at all, the dlc one?

Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: