March 28, 2024, 12:43
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: POSTING RULES  (Read 8558 times)
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: December 22, 2018, 09:07 »

Here's some rules for Unreal engine 4 board. Please follow them!

1. Special note about Fortnite game. This game has 2 own threads, both are pinned - so they will always appear on top of this board. One of thread is always closed, it is used to provide the latest AES encryption key. Another thread is open for discussion. And please, PLEASE never ask ME about this game in any PM's. This game has undeservedly many fans, and large part of this game's community is here. And every 2nd asks for assistance without trying to solve the problem himself. (note: I specially put URL's for this game's threads, because some people CAN'T find them even when looking at UE4 board!)

2. Before making a new thread here, please verify if thread about this game already exists. I do not welcome opening multiple threads about the same game. The only large thread here is about Fortnite, all others are relatively small. Use compatibility table for finding a game link, you may review all thread names here, or you may use forum search.

3. If you're making a thread about game not mentioned here, please make sure it really uses Unreal engine 4 first. Some people are posting messages about non-Unreal games at all.

4. Please use game's name as a thread name. Do not use "please help me opening game files", "<game name> doesn't work" etc. ONLY GAME NAME please.

5. Add some information about the game - sometimes it's hard to find anything when game has name like "cool chair" or "hot fire". Add links to the game. If game is openable with umodel, specify which UE4 version should be used and which types of assets has been tested.

6. I do not welcome questions like "where's the blue pants of red goblin located". Such questions are ALWAYS asked by people who's too lazy to find assets themselves. Please do not waste forum space and people's time - at least TRY finding assets first! If you're still going to ask, then post a question in game's thread - not making a separate one, or join the Fortnite Modding Community on Discord which is a better place to ask these questions.

7. If you have troubles with the game, and the game has its thread, please try finding solution on this forum first. It's just happens too often when people asks questions which were asked many times already. Even asking question in a thread which already contains an answer just 2-3 posts above! I do not understand what happens with some people.

Many of things above caused me to periodically leave (and later join) "Fortnite" thread discussion. Thanks to Blenux, he picked up stuff and doing his work very well (sometimes even TOO well).

Typical problems

Often people says "game doesn't work", however they simply didn't run UE Viewer properly.

1. When you're opening a game, UE Viewer will usually ask you for a game engine version (4.14, 4.23 etc). It is not possible to recognize it automatically, and usually taking a wrong engine version will cause UModel to crash. So, please check all provided versions before reporting "it's not openable". Please note that for example texture assets may be openable with versions 4.14-1.18, however meshes will work only with 4.16. So if you've selected a texture, it runs with 4.14, then opening a mesh and having a crash - you still need to repeat process with next version, trying textures again.

2. It is often happens that UE4 games gets engine update. So if you're looking at thread and seeing "it uses UE4.14" but game doesn't run, it's worth trying next engine version. This is especially relevant to those who came here from watching children's youtube videos - if video is quite old, and the game was updated, then information in a video will be outdated.

3. Unless it is really required, always use UModel
obtained from this site. Sometimes dishonest "youtube bloggers" reuploads umodel somewhere else, and people are using these old versions asking "why it doesn't work like in a video". And the typical answer is: "update your umodel"!

Hint for recognizing engine version

This works only for PC version of the game.
1. Look for *Shipping.exe file in your game installation folder, usually this will be in Binaries/Win64
2. Right click and go to 'Details' tab. The File version provided there is the Unreal Engine version.

Please note that the engine listed there might not work for all games, in a case if game uses mixture of different engine versions. An example: game may use some "base" engine version, then get updates to parts of core, renderer etc (e.g. for getting up-to-date console support). In this case, game will use part of one engine, and another part - of another one. And it is not clear what will be in "version" field then.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 12:53 by Gildor » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 12:10 »

Just to clarify things. This wasn't clear to some US people, so I suppose my English is not good enough, and I need more words to explain. I'm trying to keep forum more or less organized, so people could find relevant thread with no much searching fuss. I never say "do not post on my forum, go away" - I say: please post your questions in appropriate places, and if new thread is started - please fill it with appropriate information. I't a dark side of myself which I've got to my (almost) 43 years age - keep things organized to not mess with them later.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 12:13 »

One more thing. If someone will have good idea how to organize forum better, I'm open for discussion. Currently there's "UE Viewer" board which hosts many other boards. May be I should flatten forum a little bit? It's easy to move boards to other places with this forum engine. I'm just unsure what would be easier for new people coming here, or even for old-term forum users.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 21:42 »

Updated the 1st post with more noticeable rules and "typical problems" section.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 10:47 »

I think I should add another rule. Never ask for "upload a full game" etc, especially for non-mobile games. I'm feeling ok to remove such posts from topics, without banning people posting them (but also without any notice to them).

Why? I don't want this forum to become a kind of "torrent tracker", or to be in troubles with lawyers.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: