Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: Happy Holidays! Unreal / Umodel question...  (Read 1087 times)
SchoolHomeVR

View Profile
Happy Holidays! Unreal / Umodel question...
« on: December 25, 2018, 19:27 »

Hello,  I know  lot of people Mod by pulling supported assets into 3dsmax, (I usually do too) but, I was wondering if there is a way to bypass that, unpack a .pak, then use the results in Unreal.  I know Blueprints and Maps and stuff is still not a possibility, but I wondered about just using Unreal and how to either skip the Pskx route or somehow get Unreal to read back what Umodel pops out,... THANK YOU!
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
Re: Happy Holidays! Unreal / Umodel question...
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 21:55 »

Hi.
Please do not post such questions in UE4 board, it's intended for different purposes - a thread per game.
Juso3D

Welcome to Gildor Forums

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 13:09 »

You can batch export every pskx into fbx with 3ds max and the actor importer, however you will need to manual recreate materials for each model stills, animation can be imported from a single file or you could export each one manually too.

There is no automated process for what you want.

Blender + Linux User Here.
SchoolHomeVR

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 08:37 »

Hi.
Please do not post such questions in UE4 board, it's intended for different purposes - a thread per game.

'a thread per game',.  I am unsure what this means If I made a 'thread' (or didn't if I should have??)  I didn't intend to,,..  I just wanted to ask a question,

G:  Perhaps you could elucidate what the 'different purposes' the 'forum' is for? (If you just plain don't want me posting here I'm gone, you've always managed to supply a negative comment or reaction to every single thing I have said here...)   I'm not some punk hanging out at the beach sipping Mai Tais' here in California,  I've worked on real Hollywood films such as 'LIFE of PI' 3D,  I had my own animated tv show on Playboy TV,  as Technical Director, lead Character ANimator and lead motion capture actor (and the voice of Wendell)  I have worked in Hollywood for nearly 30 years, at Warner Bros, at Activision (surely you've heard of them..), Rhythm and Hues,  PRAXIS FILMWORKS!!  .. I don't NEED to come here and deal with negativity,.  This is just a hobby and side gig,,

I just wanted to learn to MOD,  It has been nothing less than a NIGHTMARE because of the apparent extreme and total ARROGANCE of the people that do it BUT WHY?  It's not that big a thing!!! You cracked GAMES..  TOYS....  You didn't CURE CANCER for F&%'s sake,..() Even someone who did cure cancer could afford to be CORDIAL, Decent even Kind (LOL Yeah right,. One step too far LOL>>>)

I thought this was a COMMUNITY of sorts..,..  I thought forums were where people come together to ask and answer questions???

I appreciate the tools you made, but you are are inordinately unwelcoming.

You are RUDE.

Asking how to BRING the OUTPUT of 'UNREAL VIEWER' INTO 'UNREAL' ....  Yes, I can see how that question could be seen as unusual and unexpected....
 LOL LOL.

HAPPY F&(^$%* HOLIDAYS

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 08:43 by SchoolHomeVR » Logged
SchoolHomeVR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 08:53 »

You can batch export every pskx into fbx with 3ds max and the actor importer, however you will need to manual recreate materials for each model stills, animation can be imported from a single file or you could export each one manually too.

There is no automated process for what you want.

HI thanks, yeah that's pretty helpful, I found that earlier.  ONE THING THAT WILL HELP anyone trying:
If you download a free HEX Editor, then open up a raw 'cooked' Asset (such as a Blueprint, Material, even a Mesh)  You will see there in the file it lists everything that it references and requires (a cooked Blueprint lists all the Meshes, Materials and OTHER BLUEPRINTS it calls on etc.),   Or, a cooked Material lists all the required Textures..)...  Also it lists a ton of vague but helpful information about the FUNCTIONS the Blueprint was running (actor overlaps, directional audio+distance etc..
Gleaning extra information in this way, nearly everything can be emulated in a mod,.. Just a FYI..

Probably posted in the 'wrong place'. 
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 11:15 »

'a thread per game',.  I am unsure what this means If I made a 'thread' (or didn't if I should have??)  I didn't intend to,,..  I just wanted to ask a question,
I meant, in UE4 board should be only threads about particular UE4 games. "Fortnite", "PUBG", etc. Nothing about "how could I modify UE4 assets" or "how could I import UE4 assets somewhere". I'm just unsure how to spell this "rule" correctly. Any other questions should be posted outside of "Unreal engine 4" area. For modding, there's "Localizaion and modding" board, for importing assets - "ActorX Importer" board. For problems with using - "Usage problems". However if you're experiencing problems with PARTICULAR UE4 game, post in its thread.

... I don't NEED to come here and deal with negativity,.  This is just a hobby and side gig,,
There's no "negativity" from my side. I'm just trying to keep forum "organized". There's lots of people came here, and many of them wants to post. It is hard to keep forum organized so other people could find information. Let's say someone posts a thread "Need help" in "Other games", saying that the new UE4 game appeared and he wonders if game is openable or now. He's not trying to understand the forum structure, he's not trying to open game himself. My usual action here is to rename the thread to the game's name and move it to UE4 board. Not answering, letting others to do so.

You are RUDE.
No, I'm NOT. You didn't understand me, and immediately spammed with lots of "emotions", saying that you're presidents brother VERY COOL, and I'm not. Then tried to make my holidays worse. Nice. Who's rude you say?

You didn't make my holidays worse, nope. You're just another-one-person who makes me wish to keep away from umodel at all. I do not have good motivation for Umodel development anymore - I do not have time for that, I do not need to learn Unreal anymore (I work with it). Previously, any new UE4 release motivated me to update umodel. Now - not.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 11:22 by Gildor » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 12:15 »

Relevant thread about what I asked about. Added more stuff today, as I see things might be not clear:
http://www.gildor.org/smf/index.php/topic,6456.0.html
SchoolHomeVR

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 10:07 »

3 years later I STILL don't understand what I did wrong, it LOOKS like an UE4/Umodel Forum, I had a UE4/Umodel question,

Huh?

This still irks me,..  
 If I was in the wrong place. Why not simply point me to the right place to post such a question?  I still have no idea what you mean by: "in UE4 board should be only threads about particular UE4 games"  I use Ue4 for a lot more than games,  I use it as a teaching tool.

One can ONLY talk about games but not TOOLS??  IT MAKES NO SENSE,  So frustrating and nonsensical.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 10:51 »

I wouldn't like to continue a very old discussion just because I don't remember the context. What's your current question? May be I could answer or point you (and of course, may be not).
Jump to: