March 29, 2024, 10:41
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: [PLEASE VOTE] 32 or 64 bit umodel?  (Read 2820 times)
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: February 01, 2019, 18:48 »

Hi guys. I've started a poll on facebook page, asking if switching to 64 bit version of umodel is ok for you (i.e. entirely removing 32 bit version).

Please vote. If you don't have a facebook account, please post here.
RedBear

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 08:55 »

I'm ok with 64 bits.
Nanorat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 00:53 »

It would really hurt my experience with umodel if it was exclusively x64 bits.  Cry

Does one-two monstrous games really justify kicking out all people who dont have x64 systems? Some new games might take a lot of memory but 90% of them still does not.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 08:04 »

It is really strange that some people still using 32 bit platforms, especially when working with computer graphics. 64 bit architecture exists for longer than 10 years now, and I believe 32 bit CPU's aren't shipped for a very long time already.
Nanorat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 13:24 »

They do, and a lot. Not all tools for working with models (especially game ripping) are supported by newer windowses/x64 bits. Many are older, unsupported by their creators anymore, and without alternative programms available, so only work on x32.

Not all people can afford buying a new computer every 2-3 years. There havent been any drastic improvements in graphics in those 10 years, My PC can still run the best graphic games as long as they're not put behind "only x64 bit" wall. All those "better architecture" are myths from sellers to force people to buy new computers - nothing else, there's no actual improvement.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 13:39 »

The last 32-bit only CPU was made by Intel more than 10 years ago
https://www.quora.com/What-was-the-last-32-bit-Intel-CPU
(not taking into account mobile Atom CPU in 2011)

So, speaking about "every 2-3 years" is not correct here. I'm myself on 5 years old laptop Smiley

Regarding "better architecture myths". 64 bit architecture offers thing which is not achievable with 32 bits, LARGER MEMORY SPACE. You're restricted with 2Gb RAM at Windows 32-bit (despite CPU specs allows up to 4GB of RAM). And this is why people bothers about supporting 64 bits in umodel - there are some games which can't fit into 2Gb even after loading a single model with high-resolution textures (I SAW textures which used 1/2 Gb of RAM - that was MK I think)

On the other side, some people thinks "just support both architectures"? My build system and source code are not adapted for easy switching between 32 and 64 bits. I have to replace some files is source code directory to switch to 64 bits, and replace files back when returning to 32. And so on. Also I can't test both architectures all the time. And some other problems.

Anyway, I mentioned in a poll that I'll consider results after 200 votes. There are 99 for now (not taking into account votes in THIS thread). People voted for a first day, then stopped.
Nanorat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 15:43 »

Well, I can already tell people on newer comps overweight by a ton already, so likely Im soon going to stop using umodel.

Id like to ask that you put an "64" in file name when the umodel will no longer be supported by 32 bit systems. So people like me with 32 bit systems can know they're kicked out and need not to bother trying.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 09:19 »

Hi guys. I've found a possibility to tell Windows that 32-bit application may use more than 2Gb or memory. I've tested with Fortnite, loaded all static meshes - with no crash, Task Manager said that umodel.exe consumed 3.7Gb of memory. So, it's still not 64-bit build, but at least 2x more memory available for umodel.
m0xf

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 22:13 »

So, it's still not 64-bit build, but at least 2x more memory available for umodel.
It can use 4Gb only on 64 bit OS.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 22:17 »

32-bit Windows has some special option for OS boot which allows to use more RAM. But anyway, "having more memory for umodel" is absolutely useless if user has NO "more memory".
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 22:29 by Gildor » Logged
scibott

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 19:56 »

Why not run a 32bit virtual machine? I'm still running LGA775 from 2004, but the cpu is a 64bit multicore from 2008. I run a Windows 98SE vm on it. The advantages of 64bit architecture cannot be understated. I have maxed out the supported memory of that 10 year old chipset and still find I need more than 16gb of ram on occasion.

I say go 64bit only, but prior to that make sure that all games at least 5 years old are fully supported by the 32bit version. Or if possible copy the source code directory and keep it as a 32bit one in the case it ever needs to have an update. Maybe store the 32bit one in its own Github?
TrumpetPro

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 10:28 »

They do, and a lot. Not all tools for working with models (especially game ripping) are supported by newer windowses/x64 bits. Many are older, unsupported by their creators anymore, and without alternative programms available, so only work on x32.

Not all people can afford buying a new computer every 2-3 years. There havent been any drastic improvements in graphics in those 10 years, My PC can still run the best graphic games as long as they're not put behind "only x64 bit" wall. All those "better architecture" are myths from sellers to force people to buy new computers - nothing else, there's no actual improvement.

The move to 64-bit came with a huge advantage - 32-bit systems are incapable of using more than 3GB of RAM, while 8GB+ has been standard for well over a decade. Additionally, ALL 32-bit programs run on 64-bit systems - part of the reason the migration happened so fast was that nobody was losing anything at all. The "only 64 bit wall" as you call it is the reason the industry has managed to move past 2010 graphics - honestly, I'm shocked that there's anyone left without a 64-bit OS and processor, let alone one that deals with 3D artwork (a subject with a recommended 16GB minimum).
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 10:30 »

Yeah, there are people who can run UModel but can't run the game itself, so this is only the opportunity to look at graphics.
mark2580

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 20:10 »

Honestly, I don’t know why there are still 32 bit systems now. Even for the Internet, 3GB which are available to a 32-bit system is already becoming small. Most of the programs have completely switched to 64 bits, all games are now made for 64 bits only ...

MARK2580
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2020, 20:15 »

I have Acer Aspire One laptop, 10 years old. It has 64-bit CPU and 32-bit Windows. I can't install 64-bit Windows onto it, because Intel didn't bother making 64-bit drivers for its integrated video card.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: