March 28, 2024, 19:52
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory HD (.ukx and .utx files - compatibility with Umodel?  (Read 1590 times)
Pepsee

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2019, 18:18 »

Hello! I recently been digging through files and found Chaos Theory's models and Textures in a decent format, not needing map decompressing in order to obtain them anymore. I tried doing the same with Double Agent on the PS3 but the PKG Extractor bugs out. Anyways, I uploaded all animated characters with their respective texture archives as well as some static meshes (.usx) on MEGA.

• Skeletal Meshes are in .ukx archives
  • Textures are inside of .utx archives
  • Static Meshes are inside of .usx archives

If anyone could check them out and see if it's possible to export them to workable formats that would be amazing. Here's the link: https://mega.nz/#!0d5WCQza!vNiNHY1bektibXPgxn1iJFO9idRDjsq9QZCSVQmV7gw
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 18:30 by Pepsee » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 18:31 »

Even "older" Chaos Theory wasn't supported. Here I see that the engine got huge update (at least in terms of "file version", it has been migrated from 100'th to 400'th). So I wouldn't expect that something will work.
Pepsee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 18:36 »

Well, it'd be worth a shot I guess, we could have luck
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 18:40 by Pepsee » Logged
Pepsee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 18:45 »

Is there any chance these could be extracted?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 18:54 »

Sorry, I'm not going to work on Splinter Cell series anymore. The game's engine went too far away from original engine, and every game in series has changes not intersecting with other games (looking like there's some "base engine" and each game's team doing all changes from scratch, independently from each other). Also, multiplayer has another engine version again. So, too much fuss just for one game.

Splinter Cell was the second game supported with umodel, after UT2004. That was a challenge for me - to support another one game. I liked first game in the series. Later Unisoft put the game to conveyor, just like with all other successful games in the company. Supporting new games became harder and harder.

Initially (read: many ears ago) I stopped working on Splinter Cell support because starting from one of games Ubisoft started to use special archive format for files (UMD or something like that). The guy who provided files for extraction decided to not share UMD extractor, so all changes I did were useful just for one person. He was okay with that, but I'm not. And after years, people asked me "how to extract content from SC - umodel says 'it's supported'" - and I wasn't able to answer.

That was before. Right now I just do not want to waste my time with those games, I explained why.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 18:56 by Gildor » Logged
3A2watup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 20:17 »

Could anyone tell what would need to be done, learnt, whatever? So we could give a chance again on accessing those files? I'm willing to spend some of my leisure time on it. (I'm imagining is just really time consuming, I mean REALLY, because nobody was interested for all this time on those anims, models). Please Gildor, if you can give any hint or tip it would be helpful. The files are there, just so close from being accessed. It's so sad ;(
Any help would be awesome, thanks!!
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 20:22 »

Sorry, no, I'll not work on Splinter Cell anymore. Too much effort, very complex work, and very little content.
3A2watup

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 01:00 »

I completely understand your decision, but do you have any tips on what should be learnt to access those files? Documentation? Thanks!
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 08:23 »

Learn for what? For extending umodel or for something else?
Headshot
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 16:44 »

I have not looked at any Splinter Cell game so far but did reverse work on other Ubisoft Unreal Titles, uses very different mesh/anim structures, so first you need to know how everything is stored/ordered and then write the specific Serialization parsing. Sadly i am really low on free-time but i may give this a shot, i have a custom umodel branch that i use to learn how to support different games, i have seen Ubisoft use Quaternion Keys as Shorts with one exponent dropped or packed into one Integer for Animations in older titles but that is still a very easy technique, usually its more complex then that. The great advantage is you can compare against stock structures to speed up the process ( although ue2/ue3 code is not public but it has been shared in the past ).

IDA is a big help especially if you can pin-point the actual code that parses the data through setting breakpoints.
3A2watup

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 06:09 »

Learn for what? For extending umodel or for something else?
To extend umodel sir. Thank you for your answers.
3A2watup

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 06:12 »

I have not looked at any Splinter Cell game so far but did reverse work on other Ubisoft Unreal Titles, uses very different mesh/anim structures, so first you need to know how everything is stored/ordered and then write the specific Serialization parsing. Sadly i am really low on free-time but i may give this a shot, i have a custom umodel branch that i use to learn how to support different games, i have seen Ubisoft use Quaternion Keys as Shorts with one exponent dropped or packed into one Integer for Animations in older titles but that is still a very easy technique, usually its more complex then that. The great advantage is you can compare against stock structures to speed up the process ( although ue2/ue3 code is not public but it has been shared in the past ).

IDA is a big help especially if you can pin-point the actual code that parses the data through setting breakpoints.

Thank you for giving this information to me and others here at this forum. Seems complex. Best regards!
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: