Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: Gears of War 4 Texture Extraction  (Read 673 times)
ARRadiation

View Profile
Gears of War 4 Texture Extraction
« on: June 22, 2019, 13:23 »

Hello me again sorry.

I've been trying to get Jinn's Textures but the textures that I am being pointed to don't seem to work. in short they are either placeholder textures or black.

The default textures that the model points to are using the placeholder textures which I can't seem to extract.
Can you even export these textures if UE Viewer shows a placeholder?

There are body textures in the "source/texture" folder available that look like the right textures but are all black.
They have the same name as the placeholder textures so I presume they are the same texture but in tga form.

Here's the black texture i was talking about.

For some reason the only textures that are fine is Jinns Face, this goes for other models too, where the face texture works but the body texture does not.

I've also tried importing some .mat files with 3dsmax but don't seem to work.

Sorry about the length of the post.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
Re: Gears of War 4 Texture Extraction
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 13:46 »

When umodel tries to open body materials, you can see a message in log output:
Code:
WARNING: Unknown class "TuskMaterialContainer" for object "hero_marcusarmored_body01"
This is something new in Gears 4, and it completely overrides material data. There's no texture references, no links to other materials - standard UE4 data is entirely empty, and only this message says that there's something else what's not supported, but what probably contains material data.

So, to get materials, you should find textures (if any) and compose materials yourself. There will be nothing automated here.

"Placeholder texture" appears for rendering, it's internal UModel's texture, so it is not supposed to be exported.
Juso3D

Welcome to Gildor Forums

View Profile
Re: Gears of War 4 Texture Extraction
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 19:15 »

/Game/Characters/COG/Jinn/Source/Materials/cog_jinn_body01.uasset

cog_jinn_body01.uasset <----- this file contains the textures for the body textures, they are under has a material but actually contain the textures, if you search for OptimizedBaseColor_387 which is for what one of the body of Jinns body material, you wont find it in flat view, but when extracted it will be in the Game\characters\COG\Jinn\Source\Materials\cog_jinn_body01 <-- Folder has a tga.

The one that are in the textures folder are just the masked texture to probably be able to switch between the other material textures for the skins they have in the game.

It's like they are using UE3 type packing with the material containing the actual textures for the characters and mask textures has regular files.

Hope this makes sense.

Blender + Linux User Here.
Jump to: