March 28, 2024, 18:48
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: UModel build 1060 - export improvements  (Read 2562 times)
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: August 17, 2019, 19:58 »

I've decided to make a new topic about this version as in my opinion it has significant improvements.

UE4 animation export

Previously the only correct way to export UE4 animations was to load a mesh into a viewer, press "Ctrl+A" key to fetch all animations, then press "Ctrl+X" for export. This caused export of all animation tracks as a single psa file with the name of Skeleton object. Whenever you tried to export animations from "Select packages" dialog window, you always has 1 animation saved into a psa file with the name of that Skeleton.

New UE Viewer fixes this. Now when you're exporting animations from "packages" dialog window, every animation track will be saved as a separate psa file, with the name of original AnimSequence object. No more name collision etc. Later I'm planning to add an option for saving all those animations into a single psa file, just like if you're exporting from the "viewer" window.

Texture export performance

Texture export is quite heavy thing because it
1. Loads texture object (lower mips).
2. Loads higher mip levels from bulk data (ubulk for UE4 and tfc for UE3).
3. Decodes the texture and saves to tga file (not performed if dds export is used).

The same texture passed this process again and again if it was used from multiple materials. So, if some "normal map" was used withing 2 materials, it was exported 3 times: 2 times from material reference, and 1 time as the object itself, if it is selected for export. Now code verifies if texture was already exported, and skips phases 2 and 3 if it was.

In my tests, this improvement generated exactly the same output as older UModel, however it spent 0:52 mins instead of 3:04, i.e. it works more than 3 times faster.

Export logging

Previously when UE Viewer exported something, it showed the message "Exported <object name> to <folder name>". Now it will show full file name instead of <folder name>.
Juso3D

Welcome to Gildor Forums

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 21:03 »

Excellent! this will come in handy, thanks.

Blender + Linux User Here.
abdumatin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 02:38 »

Sir you just saved the entire universe
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 13:06 »

Build 1063 extended previous optimization to DDS export. It won't affect you if you're using TGA textures, however for DDS export of the same folder as yesterday took 11 sec (build 1063).
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 14:26 »

Final optimization, specially for games with huge number of uasset files (Fortnite etc). If you have a fast hard drive (SSD), you'll notice that export is performed a few times faster. If you've scanned game content before export, you'll notice even more difference (scanning affected export performance too much).

I think I should stop with optimizations, and I hope you'll find things working much better now.
Tomy73

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 15:46 »

Thanks for investing your time to improve  UE Viewer.  Smiley
venturion

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 20:28 »

Just want to let you and everyone here know that you have to delete existing umodel.cfg before using this one, or else it'll crashes viewer when trying to export textures.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 21:07 by venturion » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 21:08 »

Not crashing for me.
Show me your notify.log please.
venturion

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 21:26 »

Not crashing for me.
Show me your notify.log please.

I couldn't find any notify.log in umodel folder, although shockingly I just found out that .gltf export was the one that caused the crash (it freezes a while, then it crashes, no recorded error whatsoever on log console), .psk and .md5mesh works fine, tested both skeletal and static.

The last log shown before temporal freeze and crash

« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 21:35 by venturion » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 22:11 »

The issue with glTF (and a few other issues) should be fixed now. Please use updated umodel.
Thank you for reporting.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: