March 29, 2024, 10:58
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: [HELP] Getting world coordinates out of static world meshes  (Read 320 times)
deadlydoener

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2019, 06:24 »

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to export some world meshes out of the game Code Vein (UE4.18) to create some cinematic renderings. I ran into the problem that the importer always places them centered in the scene when I import them into 3ds max. I've been reading through this a little bit and it appears like they save the coordinates where the mesh is located inside the world somewhere in the metadata. Is there any way to read out these coordinates and import the meshes with them?

Thank you all in advance,
deadly

A scientist never asks if something is possible. They always ask, how it is possible.
mark2580

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 12:01 »

A model is a model, it will always be just in the center of coordinates. UE4 maps themselves can not be considered unfortunately. You will have to do everything according to the screenshots from the game (by eye).

MARK2580
san
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 13:20 »

Mark, not quite true. For some assets extracted with UE Viewer, I have noticed that the mesh is also loaded in the 'world space co-ordinates' correctly displaced from the center.  For e.g. when I load assets from Spyro Reignited, the static meshes are already placed at the co-ordinates at which they appear in the map. So all I had to do was to to bulk import all the static meshes for that level into Blender. The exception in this case was the 'common' meshes which were repeated across the maps (like windows, doors etc) which all appeared in the center, so they need moving about.
Now this might be just an exception for this game, would be good to hear from someone in the forum if the metadata about static mesh placement in the game world is extractable/usable in general or not.

Deadlydoener, Other thing you can do is to look for collision meshes. Some games have a large collision mesh which gives a good approximation of the map, so you can load that and then use it as reference to place the individual static meshes.     

A model is a model, it will always be just in the center of coordinates. UE4 maps themselves can not be considered unfortunately. You will have to do everything according to the screenshots from the game (by eye).
mark2580

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 07:57 »

Mark, not quite true. For some assets extracted with UE Viewer, I have noticed that the mesh is also loaded in the 'world space co-ordinates' correctly displaced from the center.  For e.g. when I load assets from Spyro Reignited, the static meshes are already placed at the co-ordinates at which they appear in the map. So all I had to do was to to bulk import all the static meshes for that level into Blender. The exception in this case was the 'common' meshes which were repeated across the maps (like windows, doors etc) which all appeared in the center, so they need moving about.
Now this might be just an exception for this game, would be good to hear from someone in the forum if the metadata about static mesh placement in the game world is extractable/usable in general or not.

Deadlydoener, Other thing you can do is to look for collision meshes. Some games have a large collision mesh which gives a good approximation of the map, so you can load that and then use it as reference to place the individual static meshes.      
I met the "common center" in interior models only in Mass Effect 3. It seems like a very rare case.
My friend now really wants to at least somehow get the coordinates of the models on the DBD maps, but nothing works for him.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 07:58 by mark2580 » Logged

MARK2580
DarthDoodles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 07:08 »

Has anyone found out how to achieve this? Would be amazing if so!
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: