Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: Chunked asset import order (Mordhau)  (Read 361 times)
varinathras

View Profile
Chunked asset import order (Mordhau)
« on: November 26, 2019, 23:43 »

Dear Gildor, community,
first of all sorry if this isn't the place to ask this question, please redirect me if you can Smiley

Your tool works well for Mordhau (UE 4.20) exporting.
However they recently switched to chunked asset packaging (before they didn't package at all...  shocked )

I tried to simply save all the contents of a chunk pak, repak it and start the game again, but something is lost in the process of saving the entire package structure from a chunk to disk or in the repackaging without knowing the dependencies.

When I repack the chunked directory structure the chunk I'm trying to unpack and repack is about 200kb smaller (on a 70MB scale) than the original. My guess is there's an index file or script class that tells the engine which order to use the contained files to make sure it doesn't violate dependencies; this is based on the error I'm seeing in the game crash log: the game crashes because it tried to load assets for a boss whose loadout can't be loaded because the grand-parent of its weapon isn't loaded yet (both are in the same chunk)

Is some file excluded from the save function? or is there some metadata attached to .uassets / .uexp's that tells them the correct load order within a chunk?
Any help would be appreciated  Grin
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
Re: Chunked asset import order (Mordhau)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 12:41 »

Pak system is transparent for Unreal engine. However there are things which are checked at pak level, e.g. pak file signing. I'd suggest trying the game with unpacked assets, i.e. unpack some pak file and place it to the Content directory just like UE4 does when packaging the game without pak files.
Jump to: