Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: Bioshock - Small texture files  (Read 1142 times)
stormy

View Profile
Bioshock - Small texture files
« on: March 05, 2020, 20:42 »

Can anyone confirm if the majority of Bioshock textures are expected to be tiny?
I've attempted to extract from both the original and remastered PC versions, but the vast majority of all the textures are < 100KB (128x128 or 64x64). We're talking 5000+ textures are all under 100kb, with many around 15kb! This leads of course to super blurry model textures, which is definitely not what we see in game.

Keeping in mind the concept of texture streaming, I tried loading up individual levels, walking through them a bit and extracting the textures while the level is "active" - hopefully to capture higher res versions somehow - but same result. No matter what I do, always tiny texture files.

Another thing I tried; considering that there are a handful of "normal" textures with appropriate filesizes, I thought maybe there was a bug in the extractor where once x amount of files are extracted (correctly), the rest are compressed somehow during the extraction? So, I deleted a handful of the small textures, re-ran the extractor checking not to overwrite existing. But the same result occurs - the handful I deleted are again re-created as tiny textures.

I am using the "TGA (uncompressed)" option. I've tried all the texture options.

I dont have access to the xbox version of the game, but I'm assuming I'd experience the same.
Can anyone confirm either way? Is there no way to access the original (uncompressed) texture files of Bioshock?

Side question - Has anyone developed a better workflow to extract the bioshock model files and associate the textures to them? I figured out a very manual process, but its not scalable. (umodel > extract static meshes as .psks files > batch rename these to .psk > Noesis .psk to .obj batch conversion with .mtl generation option > and then manually editing each .mtl to reference individual textures)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 20:51 by stormy » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
Re: Bioshock - Small texture files
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 20:58 »

You should look at log, it usually contains information that some file is missed (.bdc etc). This file contains mapping of texture data to "bulk". Without it, umodel won't know where to locate textures.
stormy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 21:39 »

Focusing on 0-Lighthouse.bsm, extracting static meshes/textures, the only issue i see repeated 259 times throughout the output is: WARNING: IntProperty "UStaticMesh::CheckpointTypePadding" was not found

Is there another log? Can you elaborate further or point me to a umodel/bioshock guide?
Thanks!

Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 21:43 »

Log is long.
Which folder did you select as "game path"?
stormy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 22:34 »

I am pointing directly to the installation of the game, in my case:
C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Bioshock
C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\BioShock Remastered

Where is long log location?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 22:50 »

I don't remember path to Bioshock 1. Don't waste your time with "remastered", it won't work anyway.
At least Bioshock 2 has "SP" and "MP" folders, you should point at "SP".
Bioshock 1 - ensure that bsm, blk and bdc files are under selected root (in one of subfolders). If textures are still small (64x64), verify log window (black one with white text), look for "WARNING: no *.bdc files found" message.
Jump to: