March 28, 2024, 16:27
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Dead By Daylight Normal Maps?  (Read 431 times)
Faby

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2020, 14:26 »

Maybe I'm just doing something wrong or I'm expecting more, but I don't seem to be able to get normal maps working. Even once they are applied, the models look very chunky and I assume normal maps are supposed to smooth the edges of lower poly models over. I tried to do my best to google how to use normal maps and I thought I was doing it right but it's very likely I'm just missing some step since I'm a noob to blender so I would love help.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 15:28 »

I'd suggest trying to use glTF format for export to Blender, it contains normals (not normal maps). Perhaps psk format (which doesn't have normals) forced Blender to compute them, and it is done in a wrong way.
Faby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 16:22 »

I will try that. I am just confused because there are normal maps included in the textures, I'm probably just using them incorrectly tbh
Faby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 17:00 »

glTF works, but the bones are huge.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 17:27 »

It would be more useful if you'd post a screenshot, so people who knows Blender better could help you.
Faby

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 17:35 »

This is without a normal map, obviously very blocky.

With the normal map, not much changes. Also shown, my nodes for the material.

Using glTF, the model appears smooth as expected, but the bones are HUGE

mark2580

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 17:46 »

It looks like you are confusing the "normal map" (texture) and the "vertex normals" (the model itself). I can’t say about the blender, in 3ds max, after import, I always weld all the vertices, drop the vertex normals and smooth the polygons so that the model is beautiful and smooth.

MARK2580
Faby

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 18:33 »

It looks like you are confusing the "normal map" (texture) and the "vertex normals" (the model itself). I can’t say about the blender, in 3ds max, after import, I always weld all the vertices, drop the vertex normals and smooth the polygons so that the model is beautiful and smooth.

Thank you very much, I just started exploring blender and 3d stuff, I feel dumb but hey, that's how you learn.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: