April 19, 2024, 05:01
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: UE Viewer - Native Linux GUI  (Read 698 times)
Curtain

View Profile WWW
« on: April 14, 2020, 03:56 »

Hey, hope everyone is safe.

Not too long ago I migrated to Linux, and after learning some of the convenient keyboard shortcuts I started to enjoy the platform more.

I currently switch between the native Linux client and the Windows client of UE Viewer/UModel.

The Windows client is running via Proton/Wine (using Steam), and it has been working great.
When I need to quickly view a 3D model, I just run the Linux client (without having to start Steam).

While I was using the umodel command line in Linux, I started to miss some of the convenience of the GUI - mostly the convenience of leisurely browsing around the interface to discover what things I can use immediately.

I had a brief talk about this with Gildor on Github and it's a project that would take a lot of time and dedication.

I don't know too much about programming, but because of the current health pandemic I've been interested in learning some new programming languages, like C++ or brushing up on python.

I was thinking about a light weight user interface, like a Text-based UI (TUI) that is similar to a GUI and doesn't require a mouse.
Some examples of what I'm thinking of:

If there are any Linux contributors here who find this interesting, would you be interested in developing a native UI for the Linux client as a fun experiment?

Maybe Linux already has a way to quickly translate a command line program into a simple UI and I haven't discovered it yet.
Or maybe I haven't learned how to properly use the umodel Linux client efficiently.
If that's the case, a new TUI/GUI for the Linux client may not be necessary.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 03:58 by Curtain » Logged

Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 10:47 »

I selected linux GUI framework quite a lot of time already - it's GTK. The plan it to make my UI framework compatible with Win32 API and with GTK - https://github.com/gildor2/UEViewer/tree/master/UI
Curtain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 16:30 »

Thank you. Looks like I have a lot of learning to do lol.

Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: